Building my 29gal dream build

phil_pl

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 2, 2009
Messages
383
Reaction score
2
Location
Dalton, Georgia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 29gal dream build

I am now building my "dream tank". I have been selling my 90 gal setup to raise money for this build and i think is about time i start to document the progress.

The system will include:
29gal display tank
Stand will be custom made very soon!!

Filtration:
010.jpg

Eshopps RS200 sump
Reef Octopus Extreme Series skimmer
Danner Mag 3 return pump
Eshopps overflow

Circulation:
Ecotech Marine MP10 ES powerhead

Lighting will be Luke's 120w LED fixture! I can't wait to get my hands on one of these!!

Controller:
I haven't decided what controller I want to get yet so suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
 
Last edited:
That's awesome! Looking forward to this build.. what's your goal for this tank??
 
My overall goal when I started planning this build was to have a system capable of growing any coral and being more automated, compared to my last system. With my previous system I cold only grow softies and some LPS. I plan on this being a mostly LPS tank but I want to try some SPS.
 
I bought the rest of the wood to finish the stand today. Framing is 2x4's and the the stand will be covered with 3/4" Oak plywood from top to bottom. Just finished cutting the rest of the pieces for the stand's frame. I will finish assembling the stand tomorrow and hopefully have some pictures then. Not sure if I will be able to finish the stand this week since the new Call of Duty comes out tonight but now that I have all the wood it shouldn't be long!!
 
Tons of Progress!!
Aside from adding some trim and a few coats of paint the stand is now finished!!


I added an electrical box on the inside of the stand to help in the everlasting challenge of keeping a mess of wires out of sight. The outlet is a grounded GFI plug to make sure nothing catches on fire should it get wet.
Then I thought it would be nice to be able to see in my stand when I'm trying to work so I added under cabinet LED lighting.


Plumbing is almost done now. The drain side is completely done except for a flex fitting I will be installing tomorrow night, and as soon as I can figure out how I want the water returned to the tank I will knock out the return side of the plumbing. Suggestions would be great!




Tonight's Progress
Just finished adding a second GFCI outlet
Also just finished the plumbing on the supply line for the sump.
 
Here is a diagram of the new plumbing design. I have planned this system to be completely fail safe. Meaning that if anything happens aside from a catastrophic failure, then no water should ever leave the system. Please let me know if you find something I have overlooked!!!
Newplumbing-1.png
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 15.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 33.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 7.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new