Building my first reef tank....125 gal w/ 25 gal sump

cryotek74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm building my first reef tank. It is a 125 gal. tank with skimmer overflows in each corner. I have a 25 gal skimmer sump. Building my list of everything i need to be successful. Hopefully I will have it full, cycled and something beautiful living in it around Christmas,,,,but no hurry as I want to do it right and once.

Harold Green

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is a skimmer sump? With a 125g tank I'd go with at least a 50 gallon sump and a skimmer that's rated for 200g or more. It's unfortunate but most companies rate their skimmers at way more than they actually do. If you have a lightly loaded tank and feed little to none the ratings might be accurate but for the average reef tank they are way overrated.

OP
OP
cryotek74

cryotek74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so here is my list of things I need. I'm replacing the bulkhead fittings sine they don't look perfect. they are cheap and I'll reseal all the connections through the bottom of the skimmer boxes. If you all see something I missed let me know. Gonna be a while to get all this stuff. Hopefully I'll get it wet and cycling by mid November. Any Santa will bring me some fish and corals or even a Neptune Apex(I still believe in Santa).

protein skimmer Bubble magus Curve 5
Aquatic life RO RO/DI system
wave pump Jebao RW-8
recir pump Jebao DCT-6000
Heater Jager 250 watt
salinity refract refractometer
test kit Red sea MCP
meters pH, TDS, temp
salt instant ocean
1" bulkhead fitting
3/4" bulkhead fitting
natural sand (140lbs sand)
dry rock(75rock)

OP
OP
cryotek74

cryotek74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the tank build. stand has been re-stained and sealed. Tank cross brace has been glued and drying. Tank taped up for black paint on back(I was going with blue first but changed my mind to black so the overflows will match the back). New RO/DI filters and resin. New sand purchased. Bought a used Octopus 110 classic. Go all my testing equipment in last week. Just waiting for this weekend to move tank into house, glue in the fitting, then add rock and sand followed by water. then wait for tank to cycle which is good because I could use a break.

OP
OP
cryotek74

cryotek74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got it in the house and rockscaped. Now to plumbing and tank cycling. Hopefully fish by Christmas.

20151122_191648.jpg

Feltman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple things how many pounds of rock you got? Looks a little thin and that octupus 110 although a great skimmer is gonna struggle with anything more then a lightly stocked 120.

OP
OP
cryotek74

cryotek74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100lbs of rock(i think its a little light as well) Maybe get some shelf rock today.

I was planning on a bigger skimmer but I got the 110Classic for $50 and it is almost like new so I couldn't pass up the deal. I will upgrade later as my demand increases.

The set up came with 2 36" Marineland white and Blue LED lights. I am planning on going with LED lights(a good, multisprectum LED) that will grow coral. That is a while down the road. Probably 1st qrtr of 2016.

Dtackett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ebay Chinese black boxes are about 70 bucks each right now. youll need 3 of them. they will grow anything. or SB Reef Lights start around 140 each and they are basically the ebay lights on steroids and will grow anything and makes everything look better.

OP
OP
cryotek74

cryotek74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems all I do is add money to my aquarium but no water or fish:(:( Ordering some more dry rock tomorrow to get it looking better. Getting the plumbing done today so when the dry rock shows up I can add to the aquarium then fill with water and start the cycle. I thought about starting the cycle this weekend and just adding the additional rock once it arrives but I'm not in a hurry and its easier to add rock with no water in the tank. Still on track for fish by Christmas:D.

OP
OP
cryotek74

cryotek74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is cycling! I got some more rock from the previous pic. added the oolite, filled with water, adjusted overflows, pump, skimmer, heaters. Here is pic of tank now and cycling with Bio-spira(2 bottles). 1.025 salinity and 79 for temp.

20151202_192540.jpg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 94 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back