Building my first sump

Mike Danter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm about a month into the great hobby and the second hand canister filter that I'm running spung a pretty bad leak. It was a nightmare. So I decided to design and build my first sump. 20 gallon long with a Fiji cube sock holder, AI axis90 return pump and a max spect refugium light. Cut and glued in the glass baffles and made a 3 piece lid for it as well. All the BRS TV videos have been so helpful. Love watching those guys

20240205_133746.jpg 20240205_133736.jpg

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
looks great! did you do the lid yourself? i'm thinking of doing the same to a DIY 20G tall/high sump i have planned.

OP
OP
Mike Danter

Mike Danter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice! do you have an idea of what skimmer to run?
I'm going without a skimmer for right now. Just going to do a refugium in the center camber. Thinking that I'll probably add a reef octopus recirculating skimmer at some point a run it outside of the sump. At least that's my idea as of right now. My ideas are subject to change though.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I'm going without a skimmer for right now. Just going to do a refugium in the center camber. Thinking that I'll probably add a reef octopus recirculating skimmer at some point a run it outside of the sump. At least that's my idea as of right now. My ideas are subject to change though.
solid planning. i’d love to follow along your build progress. do you plan on starting a tank journal/thread?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back