Building my garage frag system

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about going peninsula style on a advanced acrylic 48x24x10 acrylic tank. Was going to put the overflow box in the center top of one side with a return nozzle situated on both sides of the overflow (2x return bulkheads total). My plan was to have the return nozzles angle down and blow through/under the racks utilizing a branching lock line with 1 flare and one random flow generator off of a Y. an xf250 on the opposing side towards top center to push the flow back over the top of the rack and surface of the water.

What’s your opinion on that? Or should I reverse it? I bought the tank non drilled so I can make it how I want, I just didn’t want another tank with the classic “back overflow with returns with pumps on each side” look

spent WAY too much money already on this thing and I want to make sure I do it well. I’m an addict

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size bulkheads for your returns, and size of bulkhead going back to sump? What are you planning on keeping in this tank? And what return pump will you be using?

Sorry for all the questions but it will better help us help you

OP
OP
HeyLookItsCaps

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size bulkheads for your returns, and size of bulkhead going back to sump? What are you planning on keeping in this tank? And what return pump will you be using?

Sorry for all the questions but it will better help us help you

No problem I appreciate the response!

Going to be running an Eshopps external, I ordered both the S and L sizes so I have a choice before I install. They are both 1 inch drain lines, the S is 600gph/L is 1000.

mom bring it back up with 1/2 inch lines on a Varios2 (714gph) with a maxspect gyre xf250 in tank.

the goal here is to grow frags to have some fun in online auctions etc. I have a pretty well (let’s be honest, overstocked) stocked display reef and as it grows out move them to this stand alone system. I have a little of everything so I would like flexibility. I have 2 11-22 mad rack pros going into the frag tank

lighting is a ATI Sunpod dimmable 48” 4x54 T5 + 2 reefbrite

sump is a 34x16x16 that iwith a 7 inch filter sock and sca skimmer, into a large LR/LS/biosphere middle chamber, then into the VarioS return.

will he running this system via another apex in my group.

hope that helps!

OP
OP
HeyLookItsCaps

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
quick video of my garage and what I am now calling “the Lab”. As you can see I tried my hand at cutting glass, and suffice it to say I will be sticking to other experiments.

I have found that I am much more handy than I realized in the past, and have made a hobby out of buying broken reef equipment and trying to fix it. So far I have repaired 3 dead AI hydra 26 HD that I got for 100 total and now use as a supplement in my main display, I have fixed a leaking waterbox tank that is now my torch tank, and now I am repairing the chip board on an ATI sun power dimmable that wasn’t responding on the screen and not turning on from a guy who was throwing it away already got it running and now I’m just waiting for a momentary button to solder onto the board to get all the functions the bins in the video run into the house to my tanks, 1 RO for ATO’s and 1 NSW for auto water changes.

The black mat is where I am going to be placing a new frag tank I ordered after shattering the old junky free tank in the video. The sump on my work bench was my old display tank sump before I got my TriggerSys that was beat up and had a small leak in it, so today I am learning how to polish acrylic.

never thought I would put this much time and effort into the “non reefing” side of our hobby, but here we are.

The Lab

Back