Bulk Reef Supply Heaters dead after 5-6 months

californiarob

Reef lover with a pirate smiLe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not wanting to be a "Karen" , so dont think this is "Cancel/Woke", I dont post these type of posts but wanted to see if there is an issue.

I purchased a couple of combo heater controllers from the LFS and most recently both heater elements quit working, both are the Bulk Reef Supply submersable titatium 200w with the Ink Bird wifi controller, both heater units went out within 6 months of purchasing, the controllers are still working so I added 2 Finnex heater elements as these have always been my brand to use, I bought the Bulk Reef combo as I wanted to try the wifi heater controller, I see the description Bulk Reef Supply website is "We have been on the hunt for a reliable heating element that solves a lot of the issues we currently have with other heaters in the hobby."...... maybe its time they went on the hunt again, the elements say they are made in Gemany but the quality is not what I have seen before, they dont look like the quality of the Finnex brand... anyways just looking to see if anyone else has experinced this or maybe I got a bad batch.

heater 2.jpg

heater 1.jpg

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sad to say,mine crapped out on me right after the warranty period also. BRS was nice to me and tried to help me to make sure it was the heating element vs. the controller, in the end i had to buy another one.

ProxyAquarist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... I purchased a couple of combo heater controllers ... both heater elements quit working, both are the Bulk Reef Supply submersable titatium 200w with the Ink Bird wifi controller, both heater units went out within 6 months of purchasing, the controllers are still working .... just looking to see if anyone else has experinced this or maybe I got a bad batch.

I have not heard of the issue, and was recently considering the BRS elements.

As both quit working, there appears to be a major issue.

Just now, I went over to BRS and the combo units had no reviews, but when I went to the page for just the heating element, I found several reviews with stories similar to yours. Some stated they got replacements from BRS, you might ask for that or ask for a credit towards another brand.

Titanium Heater Element - Bulk Reef Supply:
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/titanium-heater-element-bulk-reef-supply.html

Heater failure is one of my fears. I have heard one too many horror stories.

Also, if you have a chance, post your opinions on the Ink Bird WiFi controller.

Best wishes,
Jim

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always go with the finnex inkbird combo, I like the rubber guard they have and the price point is very reasonable. Not to mention they go all the way up to 800w. Recently got a brs heater with a tank I bought havnt tried it yet but I don't like the way there made.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eheim ftw
It's amazing how different people have different experiences. The only heaters I have ever had fail were eheim. I know I'm in the minority here, but I hate eheim heaters. I also didn't like (before they failed) that the 300 watt heaters are close to 6 feet long (okay maybe 20 inches but that's still huge compared to every other manufacturer I've used)

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's amazing how different people have different experiences. The only heaters I have ever had fail were eheim. I know I'm in the minority here, but I hate eheim heaters. I also didn't like (before they failed) that the 300 watt heaters are close to 6 feet long (okay maybe 20 inches but that's still huge compared to every other manufacturer I've used)
Mine just finally failed after almost 4 years.

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jagers used to be made in germany... not anymore.

OP
OP
californiarob

californiarob

Reef lover with a pirate smiLe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not heard of the issue, and was recently considering the BRS elements.

As both quit working, there appears to be a major issue.

Just now, I went over to BRS and the combo units had no reviews, but when I went to the page for just the heating element, I found several reviews with stories similar to yours. Some stated they got replacements from BRS, you might ask for that or ask for a credit towards another brand.

Titanium Heater Element - Bulk Reef Supply:
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/titanium-heater-element-bulk-reef-supply.html

Heater failure is one of my fears. I have heard one too many horror stories.

Also, if you have a chance, post your opinions on the Ink Bird WiFi controller.

Best wishes,
Jim
the Ink Bird controller is what saved the day, its alarm went off as the temp went 10 degrees under the set, the other thing the controller has is 2 electrical outlets for heaters so it can be redundant... for issues like this... maybe, if the controller can handle the load.
as to the warranty I bought mine from a LFS but will contact BRS for a possible credit

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
assembled in germany*, parts come from somewhere else, (where materials and human labor is cheaper than the EU)

JeffH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last month, I had a 200 watt BRS titanium heater fail that was 3 months old. BRS quickly shipped me a replacement, but having a expensive heating element fail doesn't inspire much confidence.

Mr Cypher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow crazy my experience is opposite I have the 1200 watt set up w ink bird controller and the heating element has been awsome but I'm ok my 3rd controller have had major issues with it the wifi goes out randomly and now it just reads error and won't do any thing until I unplug it and plug back in so frustrating only good news is it has not failed on and cooked my tank yet.... If any one knows of a more reliable controller I'm all ears thanks!

CourtNjoeZreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things I see often in all aquariums is everyone wants to hide the heater. the Heater needs to be in a spot with a moderate amount of flow otherwise it just stays on and if you have a controller in a and the temp gauge in a different spot it will keep it of for to long ect. . I also recommend getting more then one heater. i keep one in my display next to a power head that draws the water passed it and another in the sump chamber with the skimmer blowing water over it. I fluctuate within 1 degree at all times between 78.5 and 79.8. my apex makes it easy to track. i have a inkbird oldschool controller for the heaters themselves so both temps are reading the same and so far so good.

Im using a top fin and a orlushy CHEAPIES for well over a year now.

Flow over the heater makes their lives longer no matter what the quality. more flow is fewer Duty cycles on the element. the more it turns on and off the faster they will go bad No matter the brand.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 93 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back