Bulkhead configuration question – ABS and Schedule 80

mandarin417

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new 36†x 30†x 27†tank is drilled for a two standpipe Herbie overflow configuration: 2 holes for 1†overflow standpipes and 1 for a ¾†return. I like the strength of schedule 80 bulkheads but found out first hand that the holes drilled in the tank were for the ABS fittings and the thicker schedule 80’s won’t fit. The ¾†schedule 80 fits nicely in the hole drilled for the 1†ABS bulkhead and a ½†schedule 80 bulkhead fits well in the hole drilled for the ¾†ABS bulkhead.

So…

I could just go with the ABS fittings and use the original sized plumbing OR
Make the two overflows ¾†each and the return ½†OR
Put an adapter on either side of the Schedule 80 bulkheads which would create a 3†pinchpoint of ¾†inch in the 1†plumping and a 3†pinchpoint of ½†in the return pump ¾†line.

What would you do?

The last time I was a reefkeeper 16 years ago with Oceanic tanks I am assuming the standard plumbing was with ABS bulkhead and the tanks didn’t have any problems for the 3 years they were setup so maybe I just go with ABS.

Mandarine417

FishGuyTy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sched 80 bulkheads are very nice and I use them whenever I can, but I think in your case, you should just stick with ABS. I service many aquariums and all of the older ones have ABS and anything we build/install new gets sched 80. Some of the older tanks are 15 years old, most are over 10 years old with no problems. The pinch points you were talking about could work ok depending on the return pump you intend to use and the amount of head height your going to have. If your going to run a pressure rated external pump like a blue line, and your going to have 6-12 feet of plumbing, it would probably work just fine. If you going to use a submersable pump, which have much lower tolerances for back pressure and tend to heat your tank working harder to push the water, I would just go ABS. Hope this helps:)

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd not downsize the pipe, your not putting any pressure on the overflow pipe so theres no reason to not use regular pvc. Also theres no reason not to use reg pvc on the return, its strong enough to handle our needs on pumps, and you don't restrict the flow gph by sown sizing the pipe.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back