Bulkhead gaskets: abs vs schedule 80

coralnutz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a used reef setup. Had all the plumbing included. I would like to reuse and the bulkheads look ok, but thinking I should swap out the gaskets to be safe. The current ones don't feel dried out and are plenty pliable, but just think I should replace. Looking at brs they have abs and schedule 80. I'm not sure what kind of bulk heads I have. But they are out of schedule 80 gaskets. Does it really matter that much. If I buy the abs gaskets, will they work fine with schedule 80? ‍

duckman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Doesnt matter but u need to use a different glue if the plumbing u connect the bulk head is pvc (need transition glue instead of pvc glue where abs meets pvc). Also some transition glue says not for pressurized setting so u need to take that into account

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thin gaskets are most likely from abs, while thicker and stiffer gaskets are from schedule 80.
Are they interchangeable? I can’t say for certain. Maybe someone can chime in who knows more?

OP
OP
coralnutz

coralnutz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ID of the gasket is different between them.
So if just order what they have, and it fits the diameter I should be good?
Doesnt matter but u need to use a different glue if the plumbing u connect the bulk head is pvc (need transition glue instead of pvc glue where abs meets pvc). Also some transition glue says not for pressurized setting so u need to take that into account
I'm not gluing anyting..it's already all together. Its just I want a new gasket at the bulkheads.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back