Bulkhead leak

CobrahSparkles

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 18, 2015
Messages
409
Reaction score
147
What state or country do you live in
Nevada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just installed the bulkheads on my 80g RR and leak tested. The return bulkhead is leaking from the inside of the tube. No water coming out on the threads. And it's like 1 Drip every 10 seconds. Should I be worried about this?
 
Yup you want to fix it now before it becomes a bigger problem. Because it's the return it is under pressure and may mean that there is a small crack which could become bigger and turn into a flood situation outside your tank months down the road. Better to fix it now that have to worry about livestock later
 
Definitely needs to be fixed. Be careful not to over tighten you can crack the tank. Make sure the gasket is on the same side as the flange on the bulk head. Hand tighten and then about 1/4 turn with a wrench.
 
I'm about to take the return off and see if there's a crack. If so this may be a real pain.
 
Did you install the bulkhead correctly? Regardless of how the bulkhead is installed (flange on the inside or flange on the outside of the tank), the gasket ALWAYS goes on the flange side. You want NO leaks coming from the bulkhead.

@AZDesertRat has a sticky on this....I'll be back in a moment if I can find it.


Found it! Read THIS, it should help.
 
Oh yea I read that sticky. Installed according to that.
 
The return had two gaskets on the flange...
 
Yea I know, took one off and about to test it again.
 
Did you use teflon tape on the threads? I had same problem when I leak tested mine, teflon tape fixed the problem.
 
No didn't use Teflon tape. Everything I've read says to stay away from it for the bulkheads.
 
So I was wrong before, the leak only looked like it was coming from inside the pipe. It's definitely coming from the threads. At a very slow rate but still leaking. Gonna pull it apart and clean it again...
 
I had a similar problem and it turned out I had my return pipe in their crooked and it was giving just enough counter pressure to make it not seal. Try and remove and repeat your overflow pipes...
 
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/installing-bulkhead-tips.34973/

Threaded bulkhead or slip bulkhead? Is the gasket on the flange side regardless if it is inside or outside the tank? Did you take the time to smooth out any flashing or excess plastic mould lines or casting marks on the surfaces?

Threaded, gasket on flange side only, and I've gone over the gasket and threads multiple times.

The overflow bulkhead doesn't leak hand tightened. I'm wondering if I just need to give it a bit more when tightening it down.

It's also a used tank, so there's a good chance when I'm setting the return pipe into the hole the gasket picks up some detritus (even though I reclean it every time I remove the pipe)
 
I had a similar problem and it turned out I had my return pipe in their crooked and it was giving just enough counter pressure to make it not seal. Try and remove and repeat your overflow pipes...

Going on the 5th time removing and cleaning now lol. Oh the joys of reef plumbing.
 
Still just the SMALLEST leak... So frustrating
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 25.9%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new