Bulkhead only used for draining water, for manual water changes?

CaptainSupersonic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have experience installing a bulk head somewhere in the middle or lower half of one of the glass panels to be used solely for draining tank water for manual water change?

If so what are they pros/cons?

Thank you

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have experience installing a bulk head somewhere in the middle or lower half of one of the glass panels to be used solely for draining tank water for manual water change?

If so what are they pros/cons?

Thank you
Pros : none
Cons: everything

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Would make water changes convenient, although for the money and effort it might be better to just get an AWC system?

Couple cons:

You have an extra penetration into the display - another source for leaks. Depending on the location of the bulkhead, could be the whole tank.

If it does happen to leak, you run the risk of having to drain the tank entirely to work on or replace plumbing/bulkhead.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just purchase a cheap Amazon pump. I pump out the old water to a mark I have on the tank for 25 gallons. Then put the pump into my rubber maid of heated new salt water and pump into the tank. Takes no time to do my water changes.

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just purchase a cheap Amazon pump. I pump out the old water to a mark I have on the tank for 25 gallons. Then put the pump into my rubber maid of heated new salt water and pump into the tank. Takes no time to do my water changes.
Picture perfect example of working smarter not harder right here.

OP
OP
CaptainSupersonic

CaptainSupersonic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is basically how I do it now. Just trying to find a more efficient way.

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's a neat idea, and thought about something similar for myself but ended up just going with an AWC setup. Really easy to set up, and I still have the option for a manual change using a hose run from my mixing station if need be.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fancy... I use a syphon pump. The kind with a big sloppy button/manual pump that wears out at the top.

OP
OP
CaptainSupersonic

CaptainSupersonic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's a neat idea, and thought about something similar for myself but ended up just going with an AWC setup. Really easy to set up, and I still have the option for a manual change using a hose run from my mixing station if need be.

What AWC setup do you use?

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What AWC setup do you use?

I use a pair of Ecotech Versa pumps with one connected to my mixing station reservoir and the other to my utility sink drain.

My tank is set up in my living room and my mixing station and utility sink are in the basement.

I run both Versa in continuous mode where 8L of dirty water a day is removed and 8l is replaced at the same rate.

What I really like about this beyond the automatic water change is my ability to fine tune my salinity if need be. If it goes low, I stop the dirty line for a couple of days so my ATO doesn't kick in and my evaporation will gradually raise my salinity or I can do the opposite, remove some saltwater and let the ato top it up.

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use a pair of Ecotech Versa pumps with one connected to my mixing station reservoir and the other to my utility sink drain.

My tank is set up in my living room and my mixing station and utility sink are in the basement.

I run both Versa in continuous mode where 8L of dirty water a day is removed and 8l is replaced at the same rate.

What I really like about this beyond the automatic water change is my ability to fine tune my salinity if need be. If it goes low, I stop the dirty line for a couple of days so my ATO doesn't kick in and my evaporation will gradually raise my salinity or I can do the opposite, remove some saltwater and let the ato top it up.

Also using Versas for water changes on my setup.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back