Bulkhead salt creep

TheDentist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How worried should I be about this salt creep around my bulkheads? And how do I fix it?

20171206_213251.jpg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How worried should I be about this salt creep around my bulkheads? And how do I fix it?

20171206_213251.jpg
If youre getting salt creep it may mean theres a slight leak. Maybe not enough to drip, but some. Wipe it away, double check that they're all tight, and keep an eye on them.

OP
OP
T

TheDentist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If youre getting salt creep it may mean theres a slight leak. Maybe not enough to drip, but some. Wipe it away, double check that they're all tight, and keep an eye on them.

Do I need to drain the overflow and wipe under them or just around the edges?

reefrf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More than likely it’s not a huge problem but it is leaking ever so slightly. I had a bulkhead like that for years but nowadays I don’t like leaving it that way. You could try very carefully try to tighten the bulkhead but be very careful not to over tighten as you can crack the glass. Probably needs to be undone & re-seated. The overflow will need to be drained, area cleaned around the seal to re-do.

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME a tiny bit of salt creep is nothing to worry about. Frankly I'd just leave it. Tightening an operating bulkhead nut is far more likely to make things worse than better. If your OCD nature obligates you to fix it, a agree that removal, cleaning and reseating is the best approach.

OP
OP
T

TheDentist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it help to clean it out and dab some silicone around the bottom part of the glass? Those bulkheads are about as tight as im willing to get them without cracking something

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 14 46.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.3%
Back