Bulkhead size for Returns

fishstix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a new 220 gallon tank with returns on each side of the back of the tank. I am going with sch 80 returns.

What size would you go with? The PVC out of the pump is 1.25 so I was thinking about going with 1.25 bulk heads as well.

Thoughts on this? Or should I just go with 1"

Thanks

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a new 220 gallon tank with returns on each side of the back of the tank. I am going with sch 80 returns.

What size would you go with? The PVC out of the pump is 1.25 so I was thinking about going with 1.25 bulk heads as well.

Thoughts on this? Or should I just go with 1"

Thanks
Is the tank already drilled for the returns? If so what size are the holes? Or are you drilling the returns yourself?

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same as above, is the tank drilled or are you drilling it, because if its drilled already I would go go into what its drilled for.

OP
OP
F

fishstix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not drilled at all right now. it going to be drilled for Shadow overflow, and then for the two returns those will be drilled as well.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many gallons per hour are you looking to run through the system? Chances are dual 1" returns would be more than enough

OP
OP
F

fishstix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many gallons per hour are you looking to run through the system? Chances are dual 1" returns would be more than enough

The pump a COR 20, so it max is 2000 GPH, so it would be less than that. I could run each return off of a COR 20, but it was suggested it would be hard to balance so on using two.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pump a COR 20, so it max is 2000 GPH, so it would be less than that. I could run each return off of a COR 20, but it was suggested it would be hard to balance so on using two.
1" returns should suffice :)

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, would you go with 1.25 PVC still though, as that what comes out of my pump and SUMP
I just re-read what you said, so you're going to be running TWO cor 20 pumps? One per return, i'm sorry do 1.25 then :)

OP
OP
F

fishstix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just re-read what you said, so you're going to be running TWO cor 20 pumps? One per return, i'm sorry do 1.25 then :)

Well that I am not sure, I already have two of them, will it cause problems running two one to each return trying to balance the shadow overflow box? If it will cause problems then I was just going to go with the one return pump.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that I am not sure, I already have two of them, will it cause problems running two one to each return trying to balance the shadow overflow box? If it will cause problems then I was just going to go with the one return pump.
What do you mean by balance the shadow overflow box?

OP
OP
F

fishstix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean by balance the shadow overflow box?

Well for example, and maybe I am over thinking it.

Since the pumps will both be on the right side of the sump, the distance for the left return would be longer, and thinking it would be less flow to the left side of the tank, where the right is closer to the pump and would be more flow. I was just wondering if this would mess up the shadow overflow.

Would you go with one or two pumps?

Thanks

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well for example, and maybe I am over thinking it.

Since the pumps will both be on the right side of the sump, the distance for the left return would be longer, and thinking it would be less flow to the left side of the tank, where the right is closer to the pump and would be more flow. I was just wondering if this would mess up the shadow overflow.

Would you go with one or two pumps?

Thanks
It shouldn't mess up the overflow, the overflow doesn't care where the water comes from, it just overflows into the box and down to the sump.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What gets pumped into the tank goes back down the overflow/drain - doesn't matter how it got there. Not sure exactly which overflow you plan to use, but dual COR pumps pushing, say, 3,000 GPH is going to overwhelm most of them. If it were me, id use one pump, native 1 1/4" initially then either split into two 1" or just stuck with a single 1 1/4" return the whole way.

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you didn’t drill yet I’d drill for the native pump size. I have a cor20 too. Just go with 1.25. You can always dial it down.

sstanley223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about 1.25" pump lines feeding a manifold and then 1" from the manifold to the return bulkheads? 1" pipe flows a LOT of water under pressure!
water-flow-pipe-sizes-1-638.jpeg

OP
OP
F

fishstix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So from everyone feed back it sounds like if I use either one or two COR-20 I should go with 1.25 PVC? Is that what I should use for the bulkheads as well?

Thanks

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about 1.25" pump lines feeding a manifold and then 1" from the manifold to the return bulkheads? 1" pipe flows a LOT of water under pressure!
water-flow-pipe-sizes-1-638.jpeg

But you do not get that much pressure out of a cor-20 pump or most return pumps.

Back