Bully Gem Tang

Hitchhik3r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I introduced a baby Tomini tang into my tank with an established gem tang . The gem tang immediately started being very aggressive towards this Tomini (no other tangs. Just some clownfish and firefish). I tried the mirror tactic which distracted him for a few hours but he immediately went back to harassing the Tomini into a tiny cave . I've spent the last 2 days trying to catch the gem tang to put it in my sump for a bit to give my Tomini a chance to acclimate better but I've been unsuccessful. During this time however, I've noticed the Tomini becoming braver and braver, coming out of his cave any chance he got to explore the land and would retreat only when the gem tang got near. I know this question is very tough to answer but do you think it is possible the Tomini will eventually learn to stand up for himself so that both can coexist? Or am I just being naive . I am worried now because I have some anthias and a wrasse on the way that I will also need to introduce in the next week and really don't want my gem wreaking havoc .

OP
OP
Hitchhik3r

Hitchhik3r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a waterbox 100.3 (75-80g DT). I know in the long term it's too small for the gem.

Do those tang decoys work? I have never heard of them before.

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm lucky mirror trick worked for my tangs and once they were done attacking themselfs they left the other fish alone

OP
OP
Hitchhik3r

Hitchhik3r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I managed to finally catch the gem tang and put him in my sump for now. Im hoping this will give my tomini a chance to get comfortable and establish himself better. How long do you think I should wait before I re-introduce the gem? And should I put him in an acclimation box first?

kukawskim80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I managed to finally catch the gem tang and put him in my sump for now. Im hoping this will give my tomini a chance to get comfortable and establish himself better. How long do you think I should wait before I re-introduce the gem? And should I put him in an acclimation box first?
3-5 day… an acclimation box is a good idea! Are the tangs similar size?

OP
OP
Hitchhik3r

Hitchhik3r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3-5 day… an acclimation box is a good idea! Are the tangs similar size?
No. And I think that was the biggest issue. The gem tang that was established is much bigger. The tomini is a tiny baby tang.

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As already mentioned an acclimation box is a great tool to have when dealing with situations like this. Here’s a pic of mine.
4740DD1D-E2B4-4919-98A5-3103DE6E1B4B.jpeg
D2E601EA-5B64-40A7-ACC5-AD5CA15AF054.jpeg

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to use it for my queen angel when I added my porc puffer. Was very effective at reducing aggression and gives you time to see fish behavior!

OP
OP
Hitchhik3r

Hitchhik3r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to use it for my queen angel when I added my porc puffer. Was very effective at reducing aggression and gives you time to see fish behavior!
When you guys talk about acclimation box use, are you putting the vulnerable fish in there or the aggressor?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
When you guys talk about acclimation box use, are you putting the vulnerable fish in there or the aggressor?
I place the new fish in acclimation but you can also give the aggressive fish a 10-14 day timeout in the acclimation box

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So I introduced a baby Tomini tang into my tank with an established gem tang . The gem tang immediately started being very aggressive towards this Tomini (no other tangs. Just some clownfish and firefish). I tried the mirror tactic which distracted him for a few hours but he immediately went back to harassing the Tomini into a tiny cave . I've spent the last 2 days trying to catch the gem tang to put it in my sump for a bit to give my Tomini a chance to acclimate better but I've been unsuccessful. During this time however, I've noticed the Tomini becoming braver and braver, coming out of his cave any chance he got to explore the land and would retreat only when the gem tang got near. I know this question is very tough to answer but do you think it is possible the Tomini will eventually learn to stand up for himself so that both can coexist? Or am I just being naive . I am worried now because I have some anthias and a wrasse on the way that I will also need to introduce in the next week and really don't want my gem wreaking havoc .
Im surprised as ive seen many including my own gem which is tied with tomini as being the Most docile fish in my tank

Back