Bully in QT = Bully Forever?

FiddlersReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not quite sure what the correct forum for this topic is, so appologies if this is the wrong spot.

I have two purple firefish and 5 pj cardinals in a 20 gallon QT as a life-saving measure because my DT became diseased. They're all about halfway through their copper treatment, and are all doing SO much better than they were. Most of the ugly patches on them are gone, and they are all eagerly coming out to eat, etc.

However, one firefish has become a terror. He constantly chases the other firefish and occasionally one of the cardinals, to the point that I decided 2 months of this was going to kill the fish being harassed. So now the bully is in an acclimation box within the QT, constantly pounding on the side of it trying to get out. (At first I caught the incorrect firefish and put him in the box, and the bully revealed my error by constantly attacking the outside of the box trying to get to the fish inside!) So I caught the bully and switched them.

My question is... is this bully doomed? I originally had 5 of them. Three died due to the disease in the tank, but before that they were all out swimming peacefully together. Now I'm not sure if the bully should ever be released back into the tank. Should I just trade him in once the QT is over? I would hate to have to tear down the tank again to catch him back in the DT. I thought firefish were supposed to be peaceful!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm not quite sure what the correct forum for this topic is, so appologies if this is the wrong spot.

I have two purple firefish and 5 pj cardinals in a 20 gallon QT as a life-saving measure because my DT became diseased. They're all about halfway through their copper treatment, and are all doing SO much better than they were. Most of the ugly patches on them are gone, and they are all eagerly coming out to eat, etc.

However, one firefish has become a terror. He constantly chases the other firefish and occasionally one of the cardinals, to the point that I decided 2 months of this was going to kill the fish being harassed. So now the bully is in an acclimation box within the QT, constantly pounding on the side of it trying to get out. (At first I caught the incorrect firefish and put him in the box, and the bully revealed my error by constantly attacking the outside of the box trying to get to the fish inside!) So I caught the bully and switched them.

My question is... is this bully doomed? I originally had 5 of them. Three died due to the disease in the tank, but before that they were all out swimming peacefully together. Now I'm not sure if the bully should ever be released back into the tank. Should I just trade him in once the QT is over? I would hate to have to tear down the tank again to catch him back in the DT. I thought firefish were supposed to be peaceful!
Sometimes having more than 2 works best. They can be a little scrappy either way. The answer (to me) depends on the size of the eventual tank, the amount of hiding places, other fish, etc. BTW - its fairly (key word - fairly) easy to catch them with a fish trap (which many LFS will let you borrow - or you can do a DIY one).

To answer your question - there is often more bullying in a small as compared to a large area IME

OP
OP
FiddlersReef

FiddlersReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes having more than 2 works best. They can be a little scrappy either way. The answer (to me) depends on the size of the eventual tank, the amount of hiding places, other fish, etc. BTW - its fairly (key word - fairly)

Thanks. Their eventual tank (their original tank) is 120 gallons with loads of caves and hiding places. I would probably be adding 3-4 more to restore the school as soon as I could.

I did wonder if it was more a symptom of a small QT with fewer places to hide. I do have a bubble trap, I didn't think about that. They probably would be willing to go in there.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They could both be male, which is a huge issue. But in a 120. They should find territories on each end. I would release them both of separate sides. Also, could be feeling cramped.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back