Bumps on angelfish

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vetteguy53081 @Jay Hemdal @MnFish1 and other medics,

I got this fish 4 days ago. He came to me thin but is eating so trying to fatten him up. I noticed these bumps on him. They look similar to what my regal had that someone identified as a thing angelfish get and not a parasite (something that started with a L) but I wanted to make sure. All other fish in the tank are completely fine. They are raised .

Thank you guys

IMG_2992.jpeg IMG_2991.jpeg IMG_2988.jpeg IMG_2990.png

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This species is really prone to Lymphocystis, and that’s what this looks like. That will go away on its own as the virus fades over time.

However, this species is also prone to Neobenedenia flukes and should be fully quarantined.

Jay

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This species is really prone to Lymphocystis, and that’s what this looks like. That will go away on its own as the virus fades over time.

However, this species is also prone to Neobenedenia flukes and should be fully quarantined.

Jay
Okay cool I knew about the flukes, on day 3 of prazi. And yes thats what I thought it was just couldnt remember the name. I dont have a QT tank at the moment, mine sprung a leak the night before he came so he is in my FOWLR with only inverts being hermits that I can remove if I need to treat for anything else. Thanks Jay!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Jay answered and agree on probe to lymphocystis
Utmost water quality and diet will help fish lose it
Flakes and brine shrimp is not a quality diet
Foods such as mysis, LRS herbivore diet, Hikari marine cuisine, formula one will be examples

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay answered and agree on probe to lymphocystis
Utmost water quality and diet will help fish lose it
Flakes and brine shrimp is not a quality diet
Foods such as mysis, LRS herbivore diet, Hikari marine cuisine, formula one will be examples
Thank you! I feed him (and the tank) all of those foods and add vitachem and a little bit of garlic to their food! Also use a marine angel formula cube for their sponge diet. My regal in the other tank loves it and he seems to be all over it too. He also has a nori clip in his tank

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
just a comment. agree with the others - Lymphocystis can come with stress (shipping moving tanks, etc) - On the water quality front, yours looks a little cloudy - I would just recommend that you check your parameters in the tank

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just a comment. agree with the others - Lymphocystis can come with stress (shipping moving tanks, etc) - On the water quality front, yours looks a little cloudy - I would just recommend that you check your parameters in the tank
Yes Ive been fighting with the cloudy part for a month or so now. Its getting better slowly. The parameters are good except for ph, thats a little low right now but im using marine buffer to raise that slowly. I think it might be a bacterial bloom, sea chem clarity seems to help. Ive been doing water changes on weekends and will do another one. This tank is super frustrating, always something wrong where as my other one is completely fine and thriving! Any suggestions would be welcome :)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I might stop using the buffer - as it may be causing some precipitation (at least try stopping it for a while). You can also make (very easily) a DIY water polisher Here is a method:

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might stop using the buffer - as it may be causing some precipitation (at least try stopping it for a while). You can also make (very easily) a DIY water polisher Here is a method:

Awesome thank you! I will see if I can do that! I do have a uv on there too but it doesnt seem to be helping all that much

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back