Bumps on Tailspot Blenny's belly

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my tailspot blenny for about 3 weeks now - purchased quarantined from Dr. Reef. After the typical day or two adjustment, the fish ate voraciously and fattened up nicely. It grazed on mircoalgae throughout the day, pigged out on everything (frozen brine, spirula loaded mysis, flakes, sinking pellets, etc.) at feeding time, and was mostly out and about or perching in the open.

As of last weekend, I noticed it was hiding in its favorite hidey-hole rather than cruising the tank. It's still coming out at feeding time and eating a little, but only a shrimp (or flake) or two and then it will spit the 3rd one out and just head back to the hole. Today was better - it came out as soon as I shut the pumps off, ate a little more, and then perched (and has remained perched for the past several hours). But it's still a ways off from its voracious self. Its stomach is still plump, but it's not smooth - there are little bumps all over it and I don't know what to make of it. You can see them in the picture below.

IMG_2994.jpeg

It looks OK otherwise. Eyes are clear, fins are intact, breathing is normal. Tankmates are a pair of clowns and a YWG - all quarantined (2 weeks copper, 2-3 weeks of prazi, metro, and fed bendazole, metronidazole). The blenny is the latest addition - nothing (not even coral/inverts) has been added since. It's a very peaceful tank, there is no bullying, nipping, chasing, etc. Parameters are as follows:

Temp - 78
Salinity - 1.024 (calibrated Hanna checker)
PH - 8.0
Ammonia - 0
Nitrate - 5
Phosphate - .07
Alk - 8.5
Calcium - 420
Magnesium - 1320

So any thoughts? I guess it could just be constipation (I did see a big, normal colored poop last week), but the bumps worry me. I've had plenty of fat tailspot blennies and never has the stomach had bumps like this). Everyone else is fine. Internal parasites would be a surprise considering the QT process all inhabitants have gone through.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Pic slightly fuzzy but appears to be either internal infection/abscess or if I’m seeing little threads (??) terms tide worms. Sometimes a phone screen offers disadvantage
Is fish eating?
Is breathing normal or labored?
Is it able to swim normally?

OP
OP
jfoahs04

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Internal infection/abscess seems possible. I don’t see threads in person, but could be missing what you’re seeing. Fish is eating, but not as much as usual. Breathing is normal and swimming is normal though it’s not as active as it normally is (it’s out and about today which is more than the past few).

here’s a video:

And an extra photo:
E567A109-E482-407B-A870-4C2480EAF068.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've had my tailspot blenny for about 3 weeks now - purchased quarantined from Dr. Reef. After the typical day or two adjustment, the fish ate voraciously and fattened up nicely. It grazed on mircoalgae throughout the day, pigged out on everything (frozen brine, spirula loaded mysis, flakes, sinking pellets, etc.) at feeding time, and was mostly out and about or perching in the open.

As of last weekend, I noticed it was hiding in its favorite hidey-hole rather than cruising the tank. It's still coming out at feeding time and eating a little, but only a shrimp (or flake) or two and then it will spit the 3rd one out and just head back to the hole. Today was better - it came out as soon as I shut the pumps off, ate a little more, and then perched (and has remained perched for the past several hours). But it's still a ways off from its voracious self. Its stomach is still plump, but it's not smooth - there are little bumps all over it and I don't know what to make of it. You can see them in the picture below.

IMG_2994.jpeg

It looks OK otherwise. Eyes are clear, fins are intact, breathing is normal. Tankmates are a pair of clowns and a YWG - all quarantined (2 weeks copper, 2-3 weeks of prazi, metro, and fed bendazole, metronidazole). The blenny is the latest addition - nothing (not even coral/inverts) has been added since. It's a very peaceful tank, there is no bullying, nipping, chasing, etc. Parameters are as follows:

Temp - 78
Salinity - 1.024 (calibrated Hanna checker)
PH - 8.0
Ammonia - 0
Nitrate - 5
Phosphate - .07
Alk - 8.5
Calcium - 420
Magnesium - 1320

So any thoughts? I guess it could just be constipation (I did see a big, normal colored poop last week), but the bumps worry me. I've had plenty of fat tailspot blennies and never has the stomach had bumps like this). Everyone else is fine. Internal parasites would be a surprise considering the QT process all inhabitants have gone through.
this is the perfect response/question post. Thanks for doing that. When you say there are multiple 'bumps' - not sure what you mean. I would say - perhaps - constipation. Possible internal parasites - did the Bennie get the same treatment

OP
OP
jfoahs04

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is the perfect response/question post. Thanks for doing that. When you say there are multiple 'bumps' - not sure what you mean. I would say - perhaps - constipation. Possible internal parasites - did the Bennie get the same treatment
Thanks! When I say "bumps," I mean it looks like there are "bulges" in the stomach underneath the skin (in the area I presume the intestines would be). I think you can kind of see what I'm talking about in the picture in last image in post #3. There are clear bumps/bulges in the abdomen area. So a blockage or constipation makes sense.

The Blenny is a pre-quarantined fish from Dr. Reef, so it did go through his 4+ week medicated quarantine protocol (including treatment for internal parasites). It's possible that it picked up a parasite in my tank, but I think that's unlikely. All other tankmates were quarantined (either from Dr. Reef or via a similar method) and display no similar symptoms. The blenny is the only new addition in 3 months (not even inverts or coral).

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks! When I say "bumps," I mean it looks like there are "bulges" in the stomach underneath the skin (in the area I presume the intestines would be). I think you can kind of see what I'm talking about in the picture in last image in post #3. There are clear bumps/bulges in the abdomen area. So a blockage or constipation makes sense.

The Blenny is a pre-quarantined fish from Dr. Reef, so it did go through his 4+ week medicated quarantine protocol (including treatment for internal parasites). It's possible that it picked up a parasite in my tank, but I think that's unlikely. All other tankmates were quarantined (either from Dr. Reef or via a similar method) and display no similar symptoms. The blenny is the only new addition in 3 months (not even inverts or coral).
One issue here - is that @Dr. Reef 's method is not the protocol recommended here. Standard used here - so without lauding or criticizing his method - Its really hard to say. Its also possible that its non-disease related - but instead - related to this particular fish

OP
OP
jfoahs04

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One issue here - is that @Dr. Reef 's method is not the protocol recommended here. Standard used here - so without lauding or criticizing his method - Its really hard to say. Its also possible that its non-disease related - but instead - related to this particular fish
I actually didn't realize there was a difference in the methods. That's good to know!

I would hope that since both methods involve multiple rounds of prazi, either method should greatly reduce the risk of internal parasites. I have Prazipro on hand and am considering running a couple of rounds of treatment as a precaution anyway since it shouldn't cause any additional stress to the fish/tank.

The fish is acting better today (out all day, picking at food, and chasing bubbles like normal), so I'm hopeful it's just constipation and there's progress on that front over the next few days. Otherwise, it may just be an unhealthy specimen. I appreciate the help!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually didn't realize there was a difference in the methods. That's good to know!

I would hope that since both methods involve multiple rounds of prazi, either method should greatly reduce the risk of internal parasites. I have Prazipro on hand and am considering running a couple of rounds of treatment as a precaution anyway since it shouldn't cause any additional stress to the fish/tank.

The fish is acting better today (out all day, picking at food, and chasing bubbles like normal), so I'm hopeful it's just constipation and there's progress on that front over the next few days. Otherwise, it may just be an unhealthy specimen. I appreciate the help!

FWIW: I've seen blennies (usually midas) that develop these weird abdominal "bumps" - I don't know what they are, but in at least some cases, they pass. That seems to imply constipation or bloating.

Jay

OP
OP
jfoahs04

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay, we will see. I hope it’s just that. It’s a new addition so it would make sense that a new diet could cause some GI issues. I’m watching the little guy grazing on the rocks right now which is progress compared to the past few days. I’ll keep an eye on it.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay, we will see. I hope it’s just that. It’s a new addition so it would make sense that a new diet could cause some GI issues. I’m watching the little guy grazing on the rocks right now which is progress compared to the past few days. I’ll keep an eye on it.
Hi Like Jay said i see them time to time normally its not a disease at least what i know. and in some cases they pass it and get better. Let me know if it doesnt make it or something happens I will cover it.

OP
OP
jfoahs04

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Like Jay said i see them time to time normally its not a disease at least what i know. and in some cases they pass it and get better. Let me know if it doesnt make it or something happens I will cover it.
I really appreciate the offer - you’re always great about this kind of stuff. We’ll see how it goes. I feel pretty confident that this isn’t something that you or your (or any) QT procedure could have prevented. Fish arrived healthy and started eating and cruising quickly. Hopefully it continues to improve.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really appreciate the offer - you’re always great about this kind of stuff. We’ll see how it goes. I feel pretty confident that this isn’t something that you or your (or any) QT procedure could have prevented. Fish arrived healthy and started eating and cruising quickly. Hopefully it continues to improve.
well things could slip sometimes. But in this case I am quite sure its not any disease i am aware off. Also we treat with copper and prazi/metro and some antibiotics in the tank water, This covers our most commonly known 4 major diseases and internal parasites. (ich/vevet/brook/uronema) Ther are many viruses and bacterial infections out there and there are no cures for viruses and some bacterial are tough to rid with just a little antibiotics in tanks. And also some internal parasites dont get rid off with just prazi and mtero, sometimes we have to use fenbendazole. anyways,
Keep me posted and let me know I hope the little guys makes it through.

OP
OP
jfoahs04

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well things could slip sometimes. But in this case I am quite sure its not any disease i am aware off. Also we treat with copper and prazi/metro and some antibiotics in the tank water, This covers our most commonly known 4 major diseases and internal parasites. (ich/vevet/brook/uronema) Ther are many viruses and bacterial infections out there and there are no cures for viruses and some bacterial are tough to rid with just a little antibiotics in tanks. And also some internal parasites dont get rid off with just prazi and mtero, sometimes we have to use fenbendazole. anyways,
Keep me posted and let me know I hope the little guys makes it through.
Awesome, thanks again. I really appreciate the offer and I’ll keep you posted.

OP
OP
jfoahs04

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little update: The Blenny is behaving almost completely normal now. It’s grazing and perching just about all day and voraciously attacking any food (or anything it thinks may be food). It’s not eating quite as much frozen brine/mysis as it was initially, but it’s eating a lot more than it did last week. The bulges in the gut also seem to going away slowly (but not completely gone yet). It’s also pooping up a storm. Normal, healthy looking poop, but a lot of it.

I’m hoping this just means it was a little backed up from the adjustment to the new system and is slowly getting better. I’ll keep an eye on him the next few weeks. Thanks again for all of your help.

OP
OP
jfoahs04

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more (and hopefully last) update just for the sake of completing the thread.

The poop fireworks over the past few days ended last night in seems like a grand finale. As you can see in the pictures, the blenny had a massive movement that was almost twice as long as it’s own body (he’s proudly laying next to the biggest piece of it below). Today, the belly looks completely normal. A little thinner than I like, but not bad and to be expected considering it had been eating less for nearly 2 weeks. The appetite at feeding time today was back to normal.

So, I’m fairly certain this was almost entirely constipation. I’ll keep a closer watch for any other issues (2 weeks of that amount of backup can’t have been good for the fish’s GI tract), but I feel a lot better about it today.

Blenny and his creation:
b3number2.jpg

Blenny and his normal stomach this morning:
b3stomach.jpg

MsBean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for posting this follow up. I just got a tailspot blenny
that seems to have the same condition and have been worried it might be some kind of parasite that slipped past prazi and metro in quarantine. He had similar bumpy ridges when I got him, which improved during QT but have now come back about a week later. Hoping it is just some stress and/or diet change induced constipation that will pass, like yours did.

OP
OP
jfoahs04

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for posting this follow up. I just got a tailspot blenny
that seems to have the same condition and have been worried it might be some kind of parasite that slipped past prazi and metro in quarantine. He had similar bumpy ridges when I got him, which improved during QT but have now come back about a week later. Hoping it is just some stress and/or diet change induced constipation that will pass, like yours did.
Yeah, it was a non-issue after that last post. I'd chalk it up to stress in the new environment and diet changes. Hopefully it's the same for yours.

fishgirljockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Did you ever figure this out? My Tailspot blenny has the same thing

OP
OP
jfoahs04

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever figure this out? My Tailspot blenny has the same thing
It just went away. I believe it was constipation as a result of stress/diet change. It had a giant poop (circled in red above) and then it was totally fine both in terms of how it looks and how it acts. I've broken down the tank, but this fish is still fine (no issues after the tank move).

fishgirljockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just went away. I believe it was constipation as a result of stress/diet change. It had a giant poop (circled in red above) and then it was totally fine both in terms of how it looks and how it acts. I've broken down the tank, but this fish is still fine (no issues after the tank move).
Okay. Cause mine currently looks like that too and he’s breathing heavy. But it doesn’t look as big today. Maybe I’ll do a hunger strike for 2-3 days for the fish so he can poop

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 106 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.6%
Back