Burned out my black box pcb circuit

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 7, 2016
Messages
2,318
Reaction score
4,585
Location
West Monroe, LA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was playing around with an old black box replacing diodes, teaching myself to solder... It was going great till my last diode. I think I got a little too hot with the iron and burned out the copper contacts on my white channel.

Anyone know if you can order replacement pcb boards? Looking more for a blank board and not something like the SB Reef pcb board.
 
Depending on your board, you may be able to run some wire between the two LEDs (or other passive components on the board) and bypass the burned out traces completely.
Do you have any pictures of the board?
 
Depending on your board, you may be able to run some wire between the two LEDs (or other passive components on the board) and bypass the burned out traces completely.
Do you have any pictures of the board?

Here’s the board. Burned out spot is dead center.
246FAF4F-CC3A-45EC-9698-530972E97C5F.jpeg
 
I am assuming the pads completely gone?
That should be a fairly easy fix.
Use some thermal adhesive (or pad) to keep the LED attached to the board (thermal paste will not hold it on).
Then run hookup wire to replicate the missing traces on the board. The wire can solder directly to the LED tabs.
 
I am assuming the pads completely gone?
That should be a fairly easy fix.
Use some thermal adhesive (or pad) to keep the LED attached to the board (thermal paste will not hold it on).
Then run hookup wire to replicate the missing traces on the board. The wire can solder directly to the LED tabs.

That’s I’ll give it a shot!
 
"heatsink plaster" is a thermal silicone and should work to glue the diode down..

as above hard wired from ear to ear should work..
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.7%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 15 27.8%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.6%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new