Burnt tips or do I have a nipper?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still new to sps and have not experienced burnt tips as my alk has been rock solid at 8.3. I noticed some of the tips on my garf bonsai are a white while all the other pieces are fine. I suspect the pretty guy in the background but have not seen it yet. Only other fish are a yellow tang, bristle tooth tang, six line and a tail spot blenny so I don't suspect them. Those of you with more experience does this look like a fish is nipping this piece. I don't want to remove the angel but I will if it's nipping. PXL_20240127_224621283.jpg

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see a flame angel...

But personally I would let it ride for a while. He will figure out the lack of nutrient that nipping provides. Feed more and give him some film algae that is more nutrient dense.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see a flame angel...

But personally I would let it ride for a while. He will figure out the lack of nutrient that nipping provides. Feed more and give him some film algae that is more nutrient dense.
The angel has been in for 10 months. He and the two tangs graze the rocks all day and I normally feed 4-5 times a day. PE mysis mixed with rods and a few drops of selcon and vitachem added. Also some high quality pellets in between as snacks. But the last 3 days I've been busy and haven't fed like I normally do. It's most likely the angel and since he picked a coral I have growing in every tank I have I'll give him a pass. Thanks

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely burnt tips. Centropyge don’t strip skin when they nip.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anything besides quick increases in alkalynity that can cause burnt tips? My parameters have been very solid since adding a doser a few months back. Alk never fluctuating more than 8.3 - 8.5 durring weekly testing with NO4 5 PO4 0.04 yesterday.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would try a mirror on the side of the tank where I see him in that pic. Maybe a distraction will deter the nipping? It's an easy attempt anyway.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anything besides quick increases in alkalynity that can cause burnt tips? My parameters have been very solid since adding a doser a few months back. Alk never fluctuating more than 8.3 - 8.5 durring weekly testing with NO4 5 PO4 0.04 yesterday.

If you can get a close up photo that would help. Does not look like burnt tips to me as the skin looks too cleanly removed. Without a better image I agree with others that something is is nipping.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can get a close up photo that would help. Does not look like burnt tips to me as the skin looks too cleanly removed. Without a better image I agree with others that something is is nipping.

I join others - this looks more like nipping than burnt tips.
Burn tips are usually more evenly dispersed across the colony, while here it looks more randomly dispersed.
These are the best I can get but the random chunks missing, some not even on the tip lead me to believe it's nipping. Guess I'll feed more because I really like the color the angel adds to the tank. Now if he starts nipping at my battle coral grow out pieces were gonna have a problem lol.
PXL_20240128_164041654.jpg
PXL_20240128_164021095.jpg

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the best I can get but the random chunks missing, some not even on the tip lead me to believe it's nipping. Guess I'll feed more because I really like the color the angel adds to the tank. Now if he starts nipping at my battle coral grow out pieces were gonna have a problem lol.
PXL_20240128_164041654.jpg
PXL_20240128_164021095.jpg
It’s asymmetric around each stem. Sticking with classic predation not burning.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had a chance in heck of catching him, I would introduce you two. But yeah, it was a passing fancy for my Flame. Still, not much PE to be seen in that tank. Same acro in my frag? All day PE.

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had drops in phosphate lead to tip burning. Do you use GFO?

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any way you can secure a plastic crate (like strawberries come in) over it? Maybe give it an opportunity to heal?

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had drops in phosphate lead to tip burning. Do you use GFO?
I do not use gfo. PO4 has fluctuated slightly over the past few weeks but nothing drastic 0.05 to 0.09 to 0.04
Any way you can secure a plastic crate (like strawberries come in) over it? Maybe give it an opportunity to heal?
That's possible but since it is not a high end piece and I have others from the same colony scattered around in other tanks with a couple frags growing so I think I'll leave it be. I'm afraid if I cover it that may cause the fish to nip on other more valuable pieces.

I've been thinking about ScottB saying to feed more. Normally I feed frozen 3 times a day and pellets several times through out the day. Fish eat so much they know where the food is and get all excited when they see me reach for it. They're better at begging than the dogs lol. I did have a couple of bad days last week and did not feed as much as normal and one day I think I only fed once. Thinking things over it was right after that time I noticed the white tips.
I've gotten back on track with the feedings so I'll just keep and eye on things. I really love having the flame in that tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 40 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back