Burrowing worms in my euphyllia?

Gophish1982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a couple frogspawn that haven’t been doing well. I’ve noticed what I think are some kind of burrowing worm, but I can’t find any info on it. I see lots of posts discussing burrowing spionid worms in SPS, but nothing about euphyllia. I do have a couple SPS frags with those, but what is on my frog spawn look a little different. They don’t have any kind of “base” like I see in photos on SPS, it’s just 2 little tentacles (looks like little hairs) coming out of the stalks of the coral. Has anyone seen this before? Is it the same type of worm that plagues SPS? Is there any type of treatment for this? I haven’t dipped them for pests, they are currently getting a KFC dip for the receding flesh. I have Coral Revive and CoralRx on hand, but thought I might try Bayer that I hear people talk about. Thanks for the help!
1D37FAFF-0E1C-40F8-84B5-B64814C2ACF5.jpeg
0A20A06B-C32C-4BEE-8E1A-C7F5669DC579.jpeg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, looks like Boring Spionids to me, and yes, they can bore into a wide variety of corals, not just SPS (I've even seen them in soft corals twice now). Depending on the species (there are several different species), dips and other treatments may not work at all. Some species seem to be basically bulletproof, but the threads linked in the quote below can give you some idea of the drastic options available which may work:
If they’re inside the coral, then they’re Coral-boring Spionid Worms:

OP
OP
Gophish1982

Gophish1982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, looks like Boring Spionids to me, and yes, they can bore into a wide variety of corals, not just SPS (I've even seen them in soft corals twice now). Depending on the species (there are several different species), dips and other treatments may not work at all. Some species seem to be basically bulletproof, but the threads linked in the quote below can give you some idea of the drastic options available which may work:
Yeah I’ve pretty much read every thread on here about boring spionid worms and I only see people talking about SPS. I did try Bayer dip last night. There was definitely some pests that came off the 3 frogspawn that got a bath last night. They seem to be doing just a little better than yesterday, but the little tentacles are still there. Might see about the ivermectin paste in that post, but all I have found is flavored and there was no response to someone previously asking if what was used had flavor or if there was a regular.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back