Butteryfly fish tank mates.

Hondatek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a 180 gallon with a small koran angel and LT. tang with the plan to finish it off with a spiny box puffer and possibly one other fish. My lfs recently had gotten a few butterfly fish that have gotten my attention. The ones I am thinking about are a longnose , pakistan , and meyers butterfly. I know they are generally more peaceful fish and not sure how well it would work with the fish I have and plan to get all being semi aggressive. All the butterfly fish they had are larger than my current fish so I have that as a plus but would like some input from anyone who has mixed them with large angels or tangs. Thanks.

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Pakistani or Longnose represents your best bet as far as ease of care and track record for longevity in a captive environment. The Meyer’s Butterfly is a very specialized eater that will only eat coral polyps. The other two not so much as they can be enticed to eat other proteinaceous foods. Sessile invertebrates would be a problem as Butterfly fish tend to snack on them.
The Pakistani and Longnose do better as a pair, or more when they are little. As an adult, a single specimen would work the best in a large tank such as yours to avoid boisterous behavior towards same species. They are semi aggressive and will do fine with larger Pomacanthus and Holacanthus Angels and other semi aggressive fish species.

OP
OP
Hondatek

Hondatek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I read that the meyer butterfly were a bit tough but did not know it only ate coral. I went to the shop and the meyers and pakistani ate well but the long nose would not. I wound up buying the pakistani. This particular one has some decent weight on it and was very active. After a 2 hour drip (lfs has tanks in hypo) it immediately started pecking at stuff so I went ahead and threw some nls pellets and mysis in and it aggressively ate again so really happy with the pick up .

IMAG0390 by

OP
OP
Hondatek

Hondatek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly It passed about a week ago. Not 100% sure why but it was definitely getting bullied a bit by the angel. It did not seem excessive though and wouldn't be against mixing those types again.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 15.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 32 38.6%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 34 41.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back