Buying a red sea 425 deluxe gen 1

Cayreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So im considering buying a used red sea 425. Its 88 gallons 112. I have an aqueon 90 gallons and and 30 gallon aquarium converted to a sump(about 20 gallons of water. So about 110 gallons all together. Theres this used 425 deluxe. For about 1250 USD and im from the cayman where everything is expensive so i think its good deal. It comes with a bunch of purple rock, a nice wave maker, 2 AI primes, reef octopus protein skimmer, fleece roller(cant remember brand), i know its like 8000$ worth of tank and equipment here in cayman with shipping and custom fees. My problem is there is a chip in the bottom left corner of the front glass and another chip in the left glass in the bottom right corner( i think it might be touching the silicone as the chip is still attached). Ive heard a few reviews of red sea tanks breaking so im worried if i transfer everything over and it breaks i would lose thousands of livestock. Theres also rusted hinges and the cabinets dont close properly. Theres also a few broken pieces in the sump but im sure they can be repaired. My aqueon is super high and not very wide. It is 48 inches long i'm running out of space on the floor. And theres so much m water space which could've easily be more aquascape space. The red sea is 2 inches less in length but 3 inches wider and also shorter giving me more floor space so id get more par with my noopsyche lights. Its currently empty and i told him to fill it up with water tomorrow morning and ill come view it on my lunch break and see if theres leaks. He said the chips only happened when he moved it to the garage of his new house And never set the tank back up as theres no space.I just want some professional tips on what you guys recommend. Is it worth the risk if theres no leaks tomorrow? Looking all feed back on these tanks and peoples experience before i decide tomorrow. Thanks in advance!!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used Red Sea G1 - run - don't walk for the door. The chips in the glass should only expedite your departure... Unless you're using it as a terrarium.

I say this as a current Red Sea G1 owner (but my tank has all sorts of upgrades and improvements that the 425 doesn't have).

Aquariumaddictuk

Discus Sensei, Reefing Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So im considering buying a used red sea 425. Its 88 gallons 112. I have an aqueon 90 gallons and and 30 gallon aquarium converted to a sump(about 20 gallons of water. So about 110 gallons all together. Theres this used 425 deluxe. For about 1250 USD and im from the cayman where everything is expensive so i think its good deal. It comes with a bunch of purple rock, a nice wave maker, 2 AI primes, reef octopus protein skimmer, fleece roller(cant remember brand), i know its like 8000$ worth of tank and equipment here in cayman with shipping and custom fees. My problem is there is a chip in the bottom left corner of the front glass and another chip in the left glass in the bottom right corner( i think it might be touching the silicone as the chip is still attached). Ive heard a few reviews of red sea tanks breaking so im worried if i transfer everything over and it breaks i would lose thousands of livestock. Theres also rusted hinges and the cabinets dont close properly. Theres also a few broken pieces in the sump but im sure they can be repaired. My aqueon is super high and not very wide. It is 48 inches long i'm running out of space on the floor. And theres so much m water space which could've easily be more aquascape space. The red sea is 2 inches less in length but 3 inches wider and also shorter giving me more floor space so id get more par with my noopsyche lights. Its currently empty and i told him to fill it up with water tomorrow morning and ill come view it on my lunch break and see if theres leaks. He said the chips only happened when he moved it to the garage of his new house And never set the tank back up as theres no space.I just want some professional tips on what you guys recommend. Is it worth the risk if theres no leaks tomorrow? Looking all feed back on these tanks and peoples experience before i decide tomorrow. Thanks in advance!!
I have a used redsea g1 & it's simple choice between faith & fear.

Fears currently winning.
The glass also seems SUPER susceptible to scratching too.
I also don't like the stock sump.
Or the daft cabinet so the front pane overhangs(imo the cause of the leaks for the majority)

I have no issue admitting I was a redsea fanboy as they make everything so appealing to newbies & very "plug & play" but 6 months in I've switched from their supplements, I don't particularly like the led90(too blue, par is poor unless you crank up the whites) & I found inconsistencies in their salt.

In summary-theres better tanks & better products out there.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 smaller redsea tanks a reefer 170 and a 300 g2. I love them both but I would never buy a used one. One with damage to the glass I would not accept for free unless I needed it for a reptile.
EDIT: The statement below would make me give a hard pass. Personally if I damaged an empty tank moving it I would never list it for sale unless I new for a fact it held water. It should be listed as damaged sold as is IMO

He said the chips only happened when he moved it to the garage of his new house And never set the tank back up as theres no space.

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im Not No Way GIF

Sneak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just turned down a local Red Sea 350 G1 for $1000, and it was brand new - unopened.

The G1 tanks are known to leak from the front glass area. I ended up going with a new G2+. They have newly reinforced silicone walls so the issue should be fixed. Hurt the wallet, but the peace of mind is worth it.

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just turned down a local Red Sea 350 G1 for $1000, and it was brand new - unopened.

The G1 tanks are known to leak from the front glass area. I ended up going with a new G2+. They have newly reinforced silicone walls so the issue should be fixed. Hurt the wallet, but the peace of mind is worth it.
The G2's are having the same front seam failures as the G1. Sorry to be the one to tell ya this.

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since everyone, myself included is saying DO NOT BUY RED SEA!! I thought I'd drop a link to what i consider a Good Tank Maker. I have had several Oceanic Tanks over the years, a 90g Bowfront, a 125 6foot complete kit, stand/sump etc and my 300g 8 foot I have currently. I know Oceanic is out of business or so you'd think, but 2 guys formerly of Oceanic, a Master Builder and a Designer teamed up to open Planet Aquariums. I can testify to the quality, my 300g is somewhere around 30 years old!

20230401_084423[1].jpg 20230722_134935[1].jpg

OP
OP
Cayreefer

Cayreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys he said he would take $300. Give me yalls advice pleeaseee. It is a nice tank despite the chip and its not leaking. Ny buddy makes awuariums and said he can reinforce it. This is not my forever tank but i need something with more floor space right now. I only need the tank for 1.5 years. The seams all seem fine

Sneak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Price should not factor this decision. Why would you take such a risk of buying a tank that is known to leak even without the crack? There's a reason that not a single reply on this thread supports buying this tank. You should dodge this bullet

Sneak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The G2's are having the same front seam failures as the G1. Sorry to be the one to tell ya this.
I definitely believe you. I wonder what the new rate of failure is on the g2 is compared to the g1. If im not mistaken, this reinforced seam feature was added approx a year ago. I wonder how many tanks are leaking with this seam, and what size they are? I grabbed the reefer 250 (small - 65g).

1693153817304.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back