Buying an Apex

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after probably close to a year of trying to decide (and watching countless hours of YouTube videos) I've finally decided to get an Apex. Yesterday I bought a used Dos from a member on here so now I've started looking at the Apex itself. I'm not opposed to buying used, but I'm not sure what to look for. I know some of the probes need to be kept wet (salinity and ORP?). I know the previous owner should reset it or at least disconnect it from fusion, but is it a hassle if the previous owner does not do it? Is there anything specific you guys would look for when buying a used system?

If I decide to buy new when does Neptune usually do sales? I though it was only around Thanksgiving but they did one a few months back so now I'm not sure.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You’ll love it. I have the full and EL VERSION and they’ve been trouble free for me

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ll love it. I have the full and EL VERSION and they’ve been trouble free for me
I swear I've watched hours and hours of videos on it, and then hours comparing it and GHL, which I decided to go with Neptune. I can't wait to finally get one. I will try to find a good used one but if I don't soon, I will probably just buy a new one.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I swear I've watched hours and hours of videos on it, and then hours comparing it and GHL, which I decided to go with Neptune. I can't wait to finally get one. I will try to find a good used one but if I don't soon, I will probably just buy a new one.
I bought mine new as I didn’t want to risk sign in and administrator issues with a used one

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that. Like any product there will be mixed results. I've heard a few horror stories, but most of what I have heard regarding the Apex has been positive. What happened with your that was disasterous?
Dosing pump would never shut off. No matter what you did the only way to turn it off was by unplugging it. As soon as it was plugged back in started again. Bombed my whole tank while I was at the grocery store. Brand new unit (worked for about a month)
I had to modify the ATK to make it work.
Unless the SG swings from 1.021-1.026 night to day the SG probe isn't very accurate. Check out some reviews on the phone app. I do not mean to trash the product at all, I see how it can be very valuable. Unfortunately It isn't for me and I just expected more considering it all cost more than the tank itself.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing pump would never shut off. No matter what you did the only way to turn it off was by unplugging it. As soon as it was plugged back in started again. Bombed my whole tank while I was at the grocery store. Brand new unit (worked for about a month)
I had to modify the ATK to make it work.
Unless the SG swings from 1.021-1.026 night to day the SG probe isn't very accurate. Check out some reviews on the phone app. I do not mean to trash the product at all, I see how it can be very valuable. Unfortunately It isn't for me and I just expected more considering it all cost more than the tank itself.
I had read another thread on here where that happen to someone else as well (it may have been you if you posted a thread about it) and that is horrible, but seems to be an incredibly rare occurrence. Just curious were you using the dos or just some dosing pumps plugged into the power bar? As for the salinity probe that is the only thing I have consistently read bad things about.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had read another thread on here where that happen to someone else as well (it may have been you if you posted a thread about it) and that is horrible, but seems to be an incredibly rare occurrence. Just curious were you using the dos or just some dosing pumps plugged into the power bar? As for the salinity probe that is the only thing I have consistently read bad things about.
It was the DOS. I purchased a lot of the modules APEX makes. I like the powerbar and the trident. If I went back I would not purchase anything else. If the trident could stand alone I would buy only that.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was the DOS. I purchased a lot of the modules APEX makes. I like the powerbar and the trident. If I went back I would not purchase anything else. If the trident could stand alone I would buy only that.
I plan on getting a trident eventually, but haven't decided if I want it to control dosing based on trident readings. I've been using a couple Kamoer x1 pumps and was considering using the trident to monitor reading and I will adjust the kamoers myself to help prevent the issue that you had.

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won’t regret it! I have had mine for a while and it’s been awesome.
I too would recommend buying new... avoids any pitfalls you may run into with used and you also get the warranty.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won’t regret it! I have had mine for a while and it’s been awesome.
I too would recommend buying new... avoids any pitfalls you may run into with used and you also get the warranty.
How long is the warranty for, and will the warranty transfer to someone who bought one used if it's still within that warranty period?

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on getting a trident eventually, but haven't decided if I want it to control dosing based on trident readings. I've been using a couple Kamoer x1 pumps and was considering using the trident to monitor reading and I will adjust the kamoers myself to help prevent the issue that you had.
I have the Trident and 3 DOS as well. I refuse to have Apex adjust my dosing based on Trident readings... I’ve had too many aberrant values (debris in sample line, microbubbles, etc) and with that frequency, the up/down dosing will create havoc with keeping things stable. I too monitor and adjust manually.
That said, I am really happy with all the Neptune products I have. I think I have nearly every module...

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long is the warranty for, and will the warranty transfer to someone who bought one used if it's still within that warranty period?
1 year.
From their website:
Warranty
Neptune Systems products are to be free of manufacturing defects for 1 year from the date of purchase, and may be returned for repair and/or replacement with an authorized RMA. Customer abuse, physical/water damage, and purchases outside of 1 year will not be covered under warranty and a repair fee will be assessed based on the damage found during diagnostics. Neptune Systems probes & sensors carry a 90 day warranty from date of purchase.

I can personally attest to their service. They were great and even called me directly to troubleshoot the issue.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 year.
From their website:
Warranty
Neptune Systems products are to be free of manufacturing defects for 1 year from the date of purchase, and may be returned for repair and/or replacement with an authorized RMA. Customer abuse, physical/water damage, and purchases outside of 1 year will not be covered under warranty and a repair fee will be assessed based on the damage found during diagnostics. Neptune Systems probes & sensors carry a 90 day warranty from date of purchase.

I can personally attest to their service. They were great and even called me directly to troubleshoot the issue.
Good point about the warranty. Maybe at the cost of it buying used trying to save $100 or so isn't worth it.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I didn't look for a used Apex very long. I went ahead and bought a new one. I'm very excited to get it and set it up.

Back