Buying bulk CA, MG and Soda Ash

Hammmerhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought a dosing unit and curious as to where everyone buys their goods and what brands. I am looking to buy larger quantities instead of paying too much for "Reef" labled additives.

Have heard of people using: CA = Prestone calcium or Dowflake

Soda Ash? ????

Magnesium ????

Please chime in on what brands you use and where you buy them.

Thanks!!!!

TopNotchCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out Bulkreefsupply I get all my 2part and mag from them and they have great prices.

Jeff.:P:.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 pm bulk reef supply. Great prices and products, I'd stay away from the Dow Flake and go with something you can trust, like the Brs products.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hammmerhead

Hammmerhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out Bulkreefsupply I get all my 2part and mag from them and they have great prices.

Thanks Bayreefer. Been using Bulkreefsupply for a while now. I am looking at buying 30-50lbs quantities of each this round.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/f295/calcium-alk-magnesium-diy-dosing-36889.html

Calcium chloride: used as ice melters and speed hardening of concrete in cold weather: check your local redimix places and ask for calcium chloride. several years ago I got a 50# bag of dow flake( 78-81%) for $22 and later a 25 pound bag of cal chlor (94-98% anhydrous) for $8 (and they did not charge me LOL) from local redimix places.

Soda ash: baked baking soda

baking soda and epsom salts-- local grocery/drug store.

magnesium chloride. Ice melter. I get this from a local industrial supplier. along with calcium chloride. the last time got both for $40 or so total for 50 pound bags.

hope that helps.

Last edited:

pitbullguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bulk reef supply is the best imo. I have been using them for years, they ship out same or next day and always have fair prices.

OP
OP
Hammmerhead

Hammmerhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the responses guys. Have talked to a few people that have been using prestone driveway heat (Calcium) for years and buying Soda Ash through pool companies. I would prefer to buy a labeled reef product, but with all the info I have gathered its pretty much the same stuff. Shipping is killing me, let alone going through a gallon of alk and Calcium every 2 weeks. Being from the deep south its hard to find a local that sells the driveway heat during off season.

ruggirello2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your Reef told me they use rowaphos because it also takes out silicates, but it seems like the majority of people in the hobby use GFO from bulk reef supply.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the responses guys. Have talked to a few people that have been using prestone driveway heat (Calcium) for years and buying Soda Ash through pool companies. I would prefer to buy a labeled reef product, but with all the info I have gathered its pretty much the same stuff. Shipping is killing me, let alone going through a gallon of alk and Calcium every 2 weeks. Being from the deep south its hard to find a local that sells the driveway heat during off season.

contact your local redimix concrete companies and ask for calcium chloride.

I know about the shipping expenses but that should only apply to the magnesium chloride and the calcium chloride is available for uses other the driveway melters.

contact local industrial chemical suppliers and ask for magnesium chloride. I found one her that does not charge shipping.

also where in the deap south are you? (there is an ozark alabama but I am sure that is not your "ozarks"). PM me to keep your privacy.

my .02

Last edited:

RBursek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HammerHead,
I am not sure I would use soda ash from a pool supplier for a reef tank, you can make your own from baking soda with a food grade product, just bake it at 325f* for 2hrs spread out on a cookie sheet.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another suggestion I did not use because I found the industrial supplier.

Magnesium chloride is used for dust control in the landscapping business. But it is usually in a liquid form. Perhaps local landscapping firms would know where to get bulk dry product.

Just a thought.

worth at most .02

OP
OP
Hammmerhead

Hammmerhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again for the info guys. I am curious how evenly the mixing rate will be when comparing the BRS Calcium compared to lets say the Prestone Driveway Heat?

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 13 8.8%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 42 28.6%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 70 47.6%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back