Buying Fish Online

NaturalGothic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!
I want to buy a new clownfish, however, the kind I want is only available online. What sites are the best? And what sites would you avoid?
Thanks!
Alison

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!
I want to buy a new clownfish, however, the kind I want is only available online. What sites are the best? And what sites would you avoid?
Thanks!
Alison
I only buy from somewhere that medicates and quarantines before shipping out to you. It’s not bulletproof, but if you don’t quarantine them yourself it’s the next best thing.

elliot @ marinecollectors.com
mike @ quarantinedfish.us
Diver’s Den @ LiveAquaria.com

the nice thing about the first two is they can source the fish you want if it’s not already on hand.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!
Thanks!
Alison
We bought ours thru

And had mostly good luck.
Stupid piston ordered a fish around Xmas that got delivered a week late by ups, doa. They replaced the fish free, just had to pay shipping.

Nice selection of colors and grades.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!
Thanks!
Alison
It depends on where the fish are available. What are you trying to buy?LiveAquaria and BlueZooAquatics have both been alive for a while (which is usually a sign that they're fairly good at what they do). And if you're sketched out by the website, you can always look for reviews. You can sometimes find them on Better Business Bureau to see if they're there or not, and assess how the company does their work.

leighla

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always had a good experience with the ORA captive bred clowns via LiveAquaria.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NaturalGothic welcome to R2R!

Couple of thoughts for you. There seems to be a love/hate relationship with LiveAquaria in this board. So you’ll get a lot of opinions on them. I see that you’re from NY. It’s possible that a local fish store would be willing to order it for you. The key here is don’t pay for the fish until they get it in the store and you can see that it’s healthy.

What fish are you looking for?

OP
OP
NaturalGothic

NaturalGothic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m
@NaturalGothic welcome to R2R!

Couple of thoughts for you. There seems to be a love/hate relationship with LiveAquaria in this board. So you’ll get a lot of opinions on them. I see that you’re from NY. It’s possible that a local fish store would be willing to order it for you. The key here is don’t pay for the fish until they get it in the store and you can see that it’s healthy.

What fish are you looking for?

I’m looking for a female Zombie Clownfish. It’s a strain of black Ocellaris. I was thinking of ordering from Thatfishplace.com

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m

I’m looking for a female Zombie Clownfish. It’s a strain of black Ocellaris. I was thinking of ordering from Thatfishplace.com
I’ve had bad experience with them on the freshwater side. I should’ve trusted my gut because their name doesn’t really inspire confidence. That being said, they say it’s ORA stock. If it comes directly from ORA, I’d say fine. If not, I’d be sure to quarantine first.
Both places are sold out, but LiveAquaria’s are drop shipped directly from ORA which is the best way, imho.

OP
OP
NaturalGothic

NaturalGothic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your honest opinion. I may ended up buying a true percula female that was surrendered to my job. She seems very sweet and active. Very people friendly too.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 112 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back