Buying water?

Dmat21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was wondering if buying water will just be easier than making my own to start up my 65 gallon reef tank?

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it will be easier, but it also might be more expensive. Find out how much they are charging and salt prices/your water prices and go from there. It's very easy to mix salt so dont feel nervous. Good thing about making your own is in case of emergency its all ready to go while your LFS could be closed when needed.

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Convenient yes, cheap no. Distilled water is about $1/Gallon from WalMart, 5G of saltwater from LFS might be $2/Gallon, 7Stage Pro Plus RODI system from BRS, priceless, I mean $339.. :D

Actually a simple RODI system is about three times the cost of water from Walmart, running about $200.

Alanna102499

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the long run no, to start out yes...
I actually started out with the Petco Seawater and it was OK, then went to buying RODI from the LFS but when I finally got around to buying a TDS tester I found out it wasn’t 0 TDS, so that caused other issues. I then went cheap and ordered a Unit it stunk so I returned and went BRS 5 Stage for $199. So much happier now, tank is doing better and I know exactly what’s going in it.

cmoore806

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
speaking from my own current experience I bought a BRS 4 stage value plus system and now three months later I bought the 150 GPD water saver upgrade and the 3 DI resin saver stages which turned it into the 7 stage system but it was a lot more expensive putting it together in stages like I did.

Second, having your own RODI system will very likely increase your success because you'll have what you need to mix saltwater for unexpected water changes which when starting out will be cmore likely.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RODI units are generally inexpensive in the long run. Plus running 5 gallon buckets inside the house is easier than from the store to the car, driving home, and carrying buckets inside home. I'm lazy and couldn't imagine having to spend that much time driving and carrying buckets.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As has been said, easier, yes. Cheaper, no.

You can buy a Rodi system, depending on where you live for under $200, expensive, yes, but then you can have as much water as you want. Drinking, aquariums, plants.

My unit, even though I only got it two months ago, has already paid for itself.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes are important for new tanks. Having water at home would make it a lot more likely that I will do them often and not skip them. Plus I would be a lot more likely to save money by not buying that new fish or coral everytime I went to an LFS.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was wondering if buying water will just be easier than making my own to start up my 65 gallon reef tank?
I bought my RO water for a year. Outside store 20 TDS unfortunately. Then I bought a no waste ro filter add two DI resin cartridges. Took time. More time for corals now

Fishbird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would even question the “easier” bit. At least at my LFS if you want to buy water you have to bring your own container. That means you’d have to make 13 trips with a 5 gallon container filled to the brim to fill up your tank. You could of course buy more than one five gallon container and not fill them up to the brim but it still seems like it would be a lot of money on containers, a lot of trips back and forth, and a lot of hauling water. As somebody else pointed out it’s easier to move a bucket around your house than from your house to the store and back to your house and back to the store and back to your house again.

You should also get a TDS meter and see what the water coming out of your tap is like. I have a four stage RODI from Bulk Reef Supply and it gives me 0 TDS water. My system cost $150. If I was to buy distilled water it would cost $1.29/gallon. My tank is 20 gallons and I change out 10% a week. My system will have paid for itself in less than a year. If you could get the four stage unit it would pay for itself in much less than a year since your tank is bigger. Plus, if you have your own system then you can make water when you need it, even in an emergency, whether or not your store is open (or whether or not it’s sold out of all bottled water because of a pandemic).

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make your own and get a spare heater for heating in your makeup bucket. Get a small pump (cobalt mj600) and 1/2" hose, for mixing (run the pump for hours to mix the saltwater) and transferring. Get a refractometer to measure the salinity, not a hydrometer which can be inaccurate.
Inverts are much more sensitive to salinity changes than fish. Urchins are the canary in the coal mine.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start from the beginning, make great water, 0 TDS stuff from an RODI unit.
Always know what going in to your DT, and many “cheaper” solutions can be problematic and reveal themselves much later down the road.

72B333E0-FE28-44AC-907A-ED2E820BFF65.jpeg

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 32.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 41 20.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 40 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back