C02 Scrubber media only works 3 days... Help please!

  • Thread starter Thread starter mikem885
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

mikem885

New Member
View Badges
Joined
May 18, 2025
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Location
winter garden florida
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, attached is a photo of my ph and you can see where i added the c02 scrubber.

I was super excited because i never saw my ph get so high.

Welp, got too excited too soon. After the first day i saw a drop in ph and so forth for the next 2.

After 3 days my ph is going back down to 7.60 at night and not going above 7.8 without my alk dosing that has a ph buffer. That's why you see it above 7.8 due to that.

So my question is, how many of you see your media less effective after ONLY 3 DAYS!?

There's no way I'm going to replace this media every 3 days it's too expensive and tedious!

Opening windows is not an option or airlines outside due to Florida weather.

Please let me know! I am using an octo c02 scrubber.

IMG_2322.png
 
I’d say it’s fairly normal depending on the co2 levels in your home.

I’ve had it last a week, sometimes two depending if I was able to open windows, etc.

Are there a lot of people and pets in the home? A co2 meter may help give you a good idea on where the problem lies.

I use Randy’s high ph recipe (lye) to help get my ph up…but I’m also able to open windows and that helps tremendously.
 
I’d say it’s fairly normal depending on the co2 levels in your home.

I’ve had it last a week, sometimes two depending if I was able to open windows, etc.

Are there a lot of people and pets in the home? A co2 meter may help give you a good idea on where the problem lies.

I use Randy’s high ph recipe (lye) to help get my ph up…but I’m also able to open windows and that helps tremendously.
Yeah there's a lot of people and dogs as well. Plus new construction home in Florida so it's sealed to the brim. Windows opening are not an option, ac is on 24/7. But i can look into what you recommended!
 
Yeah there's a lot of people and dogs as well. Plus new construction home in Florida so it's sealed to the brim. Windows opening are not an option, ac is on 24/7. But i can look into what you recommended!
I hear ya. High co2 is so hard to overcome if you can’t open windows or have an air exchanger in the home.

IMG_1768.png
 
Based off my ph chart, should i dose my b-ionic alk with ph buffer 4 times at night in smaller increments or will the ph spikes cause disruption with my acros?

Wasn't sure if i should dose during day 4 times or only at night. Obviously less alk consumption at night so my alk will be high but it'll be consumed during day and go higher at night.
 
Are you recirculating the air? I noticed mine took a couple weeks and some media to really start boosting my PH. Now I can't get it below 8.5 lol. It drops to 8.2 at night and back to 8.5 during the day. Slightly too high. I'm also NOT using my scrubber currently and it still wont drop.
 
Are you recirculating the air? I noticed mine took a couple weeks and some media to really start boosting my PH. Now I can't get it below 8.5 lol. It drops to 8.2 at night and back to 8.5 during the day. Slightly too high. I'm also NOT using my scrubber currently and it still wont drop.
Yeah I'm recirculating it through my octo 110 INT
 
What media are you using? I'm using this color changing media. Amazon product ASIN B07MJCCP1N
Same, the ice cap color changing media.

I just bought some Jorvet laboratories Limestone to try out instead. Heard it's really good and it's cheaper. It does change color as well. Use for patients to remove c02
 
Same, the ice cap color changing media.

I just bought some Jorvet laboratories Limestone to try out instead. Heard it's really good and it's cheaper. It does change color as well. Use for patients to remove c02

Ya it’s weird. My first media was from BRS. I switched to the Jorvet and saw a nice improvement.
 
As an alternative, consider supplying outdoor air to the skimmer and/or a separate airstone for aeration with outdoor air. I found it even more effective (at high rates) than opening windows and less hassle than a CO2 scrubber.
 
Are you adding water in the reactor?
I noticed if I ran the media with just dry air. It ran out in a few days.
But if you keep few ml of water in the bottom of the co2 scrubber and air gets moist before going through the media make it last much longer, several weeks in my case
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 35.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 14.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 11 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new