Another silly ph question

ChrisfromBrick

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 29, 2024
Messages
3,564
Reaction score
4,917
Location
Brick, NJ
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yes I know, we shouldn't be chasing ph. But, I cannot help but look at it when im checking my neptune during the day.

here is the issue (if you want to call it an issue):

I open co2 scrub (not recirculate) for ph boost as my tank is in basement. These past 2 days the weather has been so nice in NJ that I opened all the windows. In the spring, this typically ran my ph up to 8.32-8.40. Recently, it has not cracked 8.15 with a very strong breeze and nobody home. I am thinking it could be a few things.

-co2 scrubber media exhausted because its old and sitting in a very large 5 gallon bucket although always sealed
-ph probe has gone bad (less than a year old)
-ph probe not submerged enough? Its about halfway submerged and never saw dry air
- used chemi clean 2 weeks ago. Would this have any influence on ph? Alkalinity is stable and steady.
- skimmer overflowed for an entire 2 weeks after chemi clean. Wondering if this had an effect on the co2 scrubber.

I know it doesnt matter that much but I dont like ph dropping to 7.8 at night. It used to never go below 8.0 when scrubbing.
 
Could be any of those except the probe submersion question and the bad probe is unlikely if it calibrates.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 44.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new