C4's 75g Budget Build

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So...

I started out my reefing adventures on October 10th of 2022 by picking up a shell in the intercoastal waterway in the Nocatee area just south of Jacksonville Fl. This shell had a thinstripe hermit crab in it that came home with my girlfriend and I and was named Hercules. We got a 20g Long tank for him and he lived at her house until Christmas with his friend, Blackbeard the diamond goby. Since then I've lost fish, added fish, moved the tank, joined this forum, and learned a lot! This build thread is to document the next portion of this adventure with a 75g 48" tank and to put down what I have learned. My motto going into this thread is "everything under $100" which is completely unreasonable, but my target goal is spending less than $100 per aspect/addition to the tank.

For filtration I am going to experiment with a reverse undergravel filter and would like to follow along the same "natural" philosophy as greats like Paul B and others. I have made some mistakes that may inhibit my ability to do so (like quarantining all my existing fish in copper due to Ick on the new coral beauty) but am willing to try and work through it.

Stand: $300ish
I had some 1x4 and 1x6 oak planks in the garage from a planned and unexecuted DIY project a couple years ago along with some pine 2x4. I believe the cost at the time was somewhere between $250 and $300, but I am not certain. Now it would cost a lot more but I would not have bought oak to build it either. It needs a coat of varnish before it is fully ready and my goal is to start that Tuesday.

Tank: $130+tax
Aqueon standard 75G tank, 49x21.25x19.5- Please note the actual dimensions are smaller. Unless my tape measurer is wrong, it actually has a 48.5x18.5 footprint. So the tank has a 3/4" gap on the front and back and a 1/4" gap on either side. I may fix this before varnishing the stand. The tank costs $260 but was half off during a Petco tank sale.

Sump: $27.49+tax
The original tank purchased at 1/2 off during Petco's sale.

Substrate: $63-$113
40lbs CaribSea aragonite gravel $42.98. Will probably need another 20 or 40lbs
20lbs CaribSea AragAlive course aragonite somehwere in the $20-$30 range, came from 20G tank. May use for homemade rock instead.

Rock: $125
11lbs Live Rock from Salty Bottom Reef Co. Traded for shipping costs after I drove to Tampa to pick it up. $4/lb if I remember correctly. $44
Medium purple painted life rock from Petco, broken into chunks. $32.09+tax
Small live rock from petco. I believe it was roughly $25 at the time.
57 stone crushed limestone. Just a bag of it for making rocks myself. $7
Portland cement. Same as crushed limestone. $13

Sump Lighting: $105
Used T5 fixture retrofitted (Aqua Illumination I beieve) $75
2x Philips warm 34" T5 bulbs $30

On the way:
2x Aqueon Quietflow Submersible Utility Pump 1200 for $79.52 shipped off amazon (both pumps)
1x Lee's 70/90 Premium Undergravel Filter 18"x48" for $81.20 shipped off amazon

Future additions:
DIY rock
Lighting, either home made T5 or cheap grow lights. Trying to stay under or close to $100. Expecting to spend closer to $200
DIY protien skimmer
DIY calcium reactor or kalkwasser reactor
Variety of dosing pumps
ATO
Auto water change
Diatom filter for NSW?
All the other things I have forgotten

Stocking List:
New to a 4' long tank, so I have yet to figure out exactly what I would like. Current residents:
Mocha Clownfish (Marquito)
Black Misbar Clownfish (Eve)
RBTA (Noemanemone)
Trochus Snail (Uber)
Emerald Crab (Fish Bait) (...)
Thinstripe Hermit Crab (Hercules)
Serpent/Brittle Star (Starlord) (May be dead) (likes to hide in rocks for long periods of time)
Coral Beauty Angelfish (St. Michael Angelo) (Pronounced Angel-Oh)

On the Way:
A single Acan coral to kick everything off. Will be learning a lot about corals in the next month or two I am sure.

Next posts:
A list of lessons learned and some questions for any of the more experienced reefers who see this
Pictures of what I have so far when I get home tonight

Hope y'all enjoy!

OP
OP
C

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding this morning during break. This will probably be a slow build as my free time is currently Tuesday evenings and Sunday afternoons. And the occasional Friday night….

I found an old stocking list and added some to it, would like some feedback on it from the 2 people that see this before it disappears in the feed :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Future:
Barnacle blennie x1

Royal gramma x1

Yellow head goby x1
Yellow watchman goby x1
Ruby red dragonet x1

Copper band butterfly x1

green coris wrasse x1
melanarus wrasse x1
6 line wrasse x1

Pistol shrimp x2
peppermint shrimp x1

Currently have:
2 clownfish
1 coral beauty
Small cuc including a brittle star

Notes:
Dragonet will not be added for months, if not longer

Questions:
-I love the sand sifting fish, will two goby’s fight over territory in a 48”x18” footprint?
-Should I get a pistol shrimp for each goby or just one?
-I would love to get a tang, but I understand they need lots of swimming space, are there smaller/less active species?
-I would like a flame angel, what are y’all’s thoughts on 4’ long tank with two small angelfish?
-Will these wrasses get along okay in a 4’ 75g tank?
-what order should I purchase and introduce the rest of the fish?
-THE most important question: is this too many fish for a 75g? I am planning on adding a lot of rockwork with plenty of caves and hiding places. I will have a 20g sump as well

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 52 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back