Ca&mag still sky high despite no dosing

lilbitreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what’s up with my tank. About a month ago I found my mag was around 2000, I quit dosing immediately and I had also started zeovit around the same time. Last week 12/6, ca=473, mag 1600. I did do a water change on 11/22 with 1/4 hw reef salt and 3/4 instant ocean reef crystals.( I was using up what I had left before I transitioned to tropic marin.
Just checked my levels again an here as follows

Ca=518(with nyos and Hanna)
Alk=8.51
Mag 1875
Nitrate=3
Phosphate 0.5
pH=8.13

A few things that could be causing it? I replaced the zeolite rocks yesterday. Yeysterday I witnessed A fish injured my maxima clam (bit the mantle and the mouth, I watched as the clam closed and the fish almost decapatated) reducing its extension and response to movement above it, as well as not opening all the way. The clam still opens just not as good as before. I have since removed the offending fish. Said offending fish had also injured my LPS pagoda cup causing the polyps to recede I have not seen it open up yet but color is still bright. It has only been a day so I will not know if they will survive, however, they still look healthy just not like they did last week. I have also added a lawnmower blenny to conbat my turf algae issue.
Lastly, I came home tonight to see my snails more active than normal.

So that everything I could say to give you guys an idea of what’s going on.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what’s up with my tank. About a month ago I found my mag was around 2000, I quit dosing immediately and I had also started zeovit around the same time. Last week 12/6, ca=473, mag 1600. I did do a water change on 11/22 with 1/4 hw reef salt and 3/4 instant ocean reef crystals.( I was using up what I had left before I transitioned to tropic marin.
Just checked my levels again an here as follows

Ca=518(with nyos and Hanna)
Alk=8.51
Mag 1875
Nitrate=3
Phosphate 0.5
pH=8.13

A few things that could be causing it? I replaced the zeolite rocks yesterday. Yeysterday I witnessed A fish injured my maxima clam (bit the mantle and the mouth, I watched as the clam closed and the fish almost decapatated) reducing its extension and response to movement above it, as well as not opening all the way. The clam still opens just not as good as before. I have since removed the offending fish. Said offending fish had also injured my LPS pagoda cup causing the polyps to recede I have not seen it open up yet but color is still bright. It has only been a day so I will not know if they will survive, however, they still look healthy just not like they did last week. I have also added a lawnmower blenny to conbat my turf algae issue.

So that everything I could say to give you guys an idea of what’s going on.

Numbers don't look that bad, except the mag. The calcium is high, but I wouldn't worry about it being around 500.

Hope the clam pulls through!

Martin Kuhn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- salinity is at which level? And how did you measure it?

- using fresh water or RODI for waterchanges ?

Martin Kuhn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder where the elevated Mg does come from. May it is testing error. Some test kits have problems measuring Mg. My favorite one for Mg is Salifert.

What I noticed quite late: Your PO4 level is also way to high!

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mag 1875

To me when mag hits about 1600, snails go into a sluggish stage.

:)

OP
OP
lilbitreefer

lilbitreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha yeah, I am treating it. It’s down from the 1.0 last week.

Last month I had an overdose of mag additive and though it was trending down when I checked it a week or 2 ago, but now its back up.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha yeah, I am treating it. It’s down from the 1.0 last week.

Last month I had an overdose of mag additive and though it was trending down when I checked it a week or 2 ago, but now its back up.

Is your clam doing better?

OP
OP
lilbitreefer

lilbitreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me when mag hits about 1600, snails go into a sluggish stage.

:)

Yeah my snails all came out of the wood work my cerith snails all came to congregate in the middle of the sand. And the asterisk snails were going to town on the rock work for once.

OP
OP
lilbitreefer

lilbitreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your clam doing better?

He’s got a few nips on his mantle and is kinda open not open like before though. I haven’t tried to stimulate it to see how it responds. I’m trying to limit any stimulation keep hands out. He isn’t gaping which is a really good sign!

OP
OP
lilbitreefer

lilbitreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some followup I am attaching my months readings of Ca and Alk. I don't rememeber if I mentioned it before but I have added a few LPS to my tank last month, hence why I was monitoring my Ca/alk a bit closer. I am starting to get worried at this point because I am starting to see some STN on one of my larger LPS. Not sure what it is but it is about a 2"x3" peice. While some peices are thriving others are not doing good. My pagoda cup still seems mad and not extended. I did a 15% h20 change tonight and alk is 8.51 at this time. My phosphates spiked to 1.0 over the last week. I also added zeovit coral snow plus tonight as well. Could this be the cause of STN? Did I just drop the phosphates too fast with what I did tonight?
I have not been dosing but could the cause of the high Ca/mag be causing the coral use up all the alk then stop when the alk runs too low? Should I be dosing just alk to see if that helps the corals increase their obsorption of ca/mag? I have quite a few stoney corals. I just added about 6 frogspawn and 6 hammer coral heads to the tank as well.

Feeling like a horrible coral keeper, need to ge this fixed before I kill anything else. Please help.

OP
OP
lilbitreefer

lilbitreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screen Shot 2018-12-19 at 22.45.58.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-19 at 22.47.01.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-19 at 22.46.46.png

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop putting stuff in the tank ya don’t need.

How did the Po4 get to 1.0?

OP
OP
lilbitreefer

lilbitreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was dosing the zeovit nano pack, one of the vials has a crappy dropper I think the POHLs one dropped a bit too much in it.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d go back to basics man.
I literally just feed the fish and dose cal and alk.
0235E2DE-D935-4583-A239-80440B36BFDF.jpeg

OP
OP
lilbitreefer

lilbitreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I did my water change and woke up this morning to very happy and puffy looking corals around 0900. But cal was 570 alk 8.71 pH 7.91 this morning around 0600. And my astrea snail spawned this afternoon. Looks like it was impersonating Elsa, from Frozen. I'll post a video in a bit.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 134 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back