Ca, Mg, and Alk correction

erchins8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, my 20g tank is ~8 months in the running and has been supporting two zoas colonies, a hammer coral, and a small frogspawn fine. I admit this was stupid, but I just tested my Ca, Mg, and Alk the other day to set up an auto dose and saw they were horrendously low. I imagine everything has been kept afloat by water changes but I want to start dosing to support anemones/sps/more coral in general. Any decent guides into how much to dose per day or to get on track? Here's my parameters:

Calcium: 150
Alkalinity: 7.8
Magnesium: 440

I'm using the RedSea tests and supplements, thank you!

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, my 20g tank is ~8 months in the running and has been supporting two zoas colonies, a hammer coral, and a small frogspawn fine. I admit this was stupid, but I just tested my Ca, Mg, and Alk the other day to set up an auto dose and saw they were horrendously low. I imagine everything has been kept afloat by water changes but I want to start dosing to support anemones/sps/more coral in general. Any decent guides into how much to dose per day or to get on track? Here's my parameters:

Can you test again? Calcium and magnesium can’t be right, I don’t believe.

OP
OP
erchins8

erchins8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you test again? Calcium and magnesium can’t be right, I don’t believe.
I just got the same for both, i must be doing the tests wrong or something. Should I try salifert?

OP
OP
erchins8

erchins8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got the same for both, i must be doing the tests wrong or something. Should I try salifert?
Nothing seems wrong in the tank. My pom pom crab has a bit of a closed anemone but I think thats due to how new he is— my corals are thriving and the zoas are going slower than I thought they would but theyre definitely going. Ive been throwing in an AB+ solution that redsea sells to feed them

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post photos of your red sea test results? Those are huge discrepancy from expectations.

SaltySam09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Those are super low, either something is wrong with the test kit or it’s being done incorrectly. I know when I first started I was butchering all the tests until I watched red seas videos on how to test. Might want to check them out to be sure.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 79 44.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 81 46.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.1%
Back