Ca Overdose

dirtie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was doing some maintenance and accidentally turned on my Ca doser. Emptied a full reservoir (month worth of Ca) into the tank. My Ca is now at 820.

My dKH is holding strong somehow. Mg as well. I'm monitoring both. Fish seem to be okay. Corals are a little dull and less PE than normal. I'm about 12 hrs in at the moment.

I did a 25% water change to bring the level down some. I believe I'll need 3 more of those to get the levels reasonable. I'm adding nitrate and phosphate to the new water to match current water so as I don't remove all nutrients.

So my question is do you need to wait (a few days, a week?) to do another large water change. I'm worried about bacteria etc. being depleted, or anything else that could be a problem that i'm not thinking of for multiple large water changes in a short time.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been under the impression that while perhaps some bacteria are in the water column the majority are attached to surfaces. Because of this (presumption), I wouldn't be wary of large water changes when necessary

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been under the impression that while perhaps some bacteria are in the water column the majority are attached to surfaces. Because of this (presumption), I wouldn't be wary of large water changes when necessary
Pretty much nailed it! You can do a 100% water change without any harm or cycle.. the rocks are the heart beat.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back