Ca Reactor Chemistry Question

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am finally getting around to setting up a calcium reactor and have some questions. I have not done any daily dosing, just water changes and added Mag and Sodium Bicarbonate in increase dKH a few weeks ago to get where I want. I got a Ca reactor at a great deal, so I would rather do that than daily dosing. However the setup is a little intimidating which is why it has taken so long to set up.

On 12/28 my Ca was at 430 (Salifert) and dKH at 8.8 (hanna). Seven days later Ca - 420 and dKH 8. I would like to have my levels similar to my salt, Tropic Marin Pro, with the exception of dKH being higher. Should I add dKH using BRS Sodium Bicarbonate to increase dKH to 9 before setting up the reactor? I basically want to get the numbers where I want and have the reactor take over for stability.

When I look at the Calcium Reactor Setup Calculator, which Alk supplement product do I select to replace?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A reactor will keep your levels stable. Its best to get hem where you want for starters.
As for how to dial it in they are all about the same.
Look for more good info by looking up @jda threads

OP
OP
Ian Baxter

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A reactor will keep your levels stable. Its best to get hem where you want for starters.
As for how to dial it in they are all about the same.
Look for more good info by looking up @jda threads
Thank you, I will check this out.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The calcium reactor replaces your need to use calcium and carbonate (alk) supplement. If you don't have a huge demand yet, then it is OK to wait until you do. No need to add stuff to the tank that you do not need.

You can just use baking soda to raise alk. Calcium Chloride will raise calcium. Check out some of the 2 part articles from Dr. Randy Holmes-Farley... well written and easy to implement. It is good to have some solution on hand even if you are running a calcium reactor.

Edit: I copied and paste'd a bunch of my calcium reactor threads and thoughts into a Google doc in my signature.

OP
OP
Ian Baxter

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The calcium reactor replaces your need to use calcium and carbonate (alk) supplement. If you don't have a huge demand yet, then it is OK to wait until you do. No need to add stuff to the tank that you do not need.

You can just use baking soda to raise alk. Calcium Chloride will raise calcium. Check out some of the 2 part articles from Dr. Randy Holmes-Farley... well written and easy to implement. It is good to have some solution on hand even if you are running a calcium reactor.

Edit: I copied and paste'd a bunch of my calcium reactor threads and thoughts into a Google doc in my signature.
Thank you! I appreciate the info.

I just realized you wrote the Calcium Reactor Thoughts and Tuning. I have the printed out and read it several times. It's great. My reactor is an Aquamaxx cTech and they say to use a AquaLifter pump. Do you think that I should use a Quiteone or MaxiJet instead?

Last edited:

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you only used 10ppt of calcium in a week you don't need a reactor.

You will never get it dialed in that low and if you do it won't be stable.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sounds like your absorption can be met with continued manual dosing. As the load increases, then it’s time for CA reactor

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
25-30 ppm

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Suspect

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes. If this new iPhone wasn’t company owned, I would have thrown it out the window a long time ago
This spell correct is driving me nuts
There are a variety of keyboard correction options that you can disable at Settings > General > Keyboard.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you get to where you need to add every few days, or certainly daily, then it is time for an automated method. Some love to dose daily and never get one, but they are probably few.

OP
OP
Ian Baxter

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you get to where you need to add every few days, or certainly daily, then it is time for an automated method. Some love to dose daily and never get one, but they are probably few.
I have ATI Essentials Pro 2 part and I think I'm going to dilute and use that until I need the reactor. Guess I need to buy more corals to fill my 120. LOL

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once the coralline comes in, it will use a BUNCH. So will growing snails... but wait until they have something to eat. There are other things in your tank that will calcify too that you might never see.

As you use that 2 part, you will get a feel for what you tank needs and how often. When you get sick of doing it every day or two, then it is time for a calcium reactor. If you get sick of doing it once a month, then nobody is going to be able to help you with that. :)

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How much does your carx effect your ph that’s my only reason for not wanting to switch over

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back