Ca reactor pump size

harper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats the logic behind the sizing of calcium reactor recirculating pumps? I purchased a seltz CM202 calcium reactor, and it turned out the recirculating pump is seized. I can plumb in just about anything or maybe get a replacement from over seas. But I'm wondering if it needs anything nearly as large as the OEM pump. The OEM is 4200LPH/1100gph. I see similar sized units from octopus have varios 6 pumps.

My guess is that these big pumps would be needed if using fine crushed coral. But with ARM extra course media can one get by with a much smaller recirculating pump? Maybe it would be an issue over time as the media dissolves and compacts?

Any recommendation on replacement pumps? The OEM would fit well but a dc pump would be nice. Plus I would like to plumb in a pump commonly available pump. I am looking at the platinum blue 800. Maybe a jebao, model recommendation? I have a IM mini jet on the shelf, it's only rated for ~300gph, I'm wondering if that would do the job if I use ARM extra course media?

Thanks for any input!

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you size the pump too small you will not get much circulation even with ARM. The circulation causes the Co2 to dissolve the media. There is also the need of enough pressure to output the effluent. You can prob go smaller than what came with the setup.

OP
OP
H

harper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. Picked up a simplicity dc1000 pump today. It's a bit smaller than the OEM but still listed at 1000gpm and controllable. Should be fun.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's less about flow and more about the ability to handle back pressure. I run a PanWorld 40 on mine and it works fine. At one point I decided to try the much smaller PanWorld 10. It really couldn't handle the backpressure and died after about six months, at which point i went back to the 40.

OP
OP
H

harper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The need for a back pressure rated pump has me a bit concerned. I plumbed the ca reactor to allow for the pump to sit in the sump. Mostly because these cheaper pumps (jabeo/simplicity) say to run submerged. My guess is that they are not that well sealed. Also figured that when they it would muffle the noise from aspirating co2 bubbles (seems to be one of the complaints of this CA reactor). If the plumbing doesn't leak I can pretty much replace this with any pump in the future. I'm not really sure how I would be able to tell if the simplicity 1000 is having issues with the back pressure.

OP
OP
H

harper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Priming the pump might be interesting too.
PXL_20210819_144352282.jpg

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made my own carx out of a skimz 6" media reactor.
I set it up like the Tunze carx. No need for a feed pump. Holds alk easialy and one less elecrtrical device needed.
Mine sits in the sump.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not really sure how I would be able to tell if the simplicity 1000 is having issues with the back pressure.
I actually have a flow sensor on my CaRx pump ..... though I appreciate that most folks probably don't have that capability. When the flow starts to decline, I know its time to clean/replace the media.

OP
OP
H

harper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plumbed it in last night. Over the night it managed to clear the extra air and was working pretty well this morning.

CM202-plumb.jpg

I seemed to have introduced a large amount of extra air while getting the CO2 setup which has made the unit really noisy. Couple days to get it dialed in and see if it calms down.

Short video of it sucking air

Back