Cabinet bowing / bending slightly (EVO 13.5)

Crazeh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

My Fluval EVO 13.5 sits on a Marina Premium 54 Cabinet. The cabinet was designed for a 54L tank (EVO is 52L) so I didn’t give it much thought. Recently I noticed the top surface of the cabinet bending. I believe it's due the mass distribution of the EVO (the EVO has a small non-symmetrical footprint, whereas the Marina 54 sits on all edges of the cabinet).

Two photos below (doors open) show there’s vertical support at each side of the cabinet and at the back. On one photo I have laid a straight edge, to highlight the gap. The gap is about 2mm. The tank also leans forward slightly, with the difference in water level between front and back at about 2mm.

As all beams deflect when loaded I’m not too concerned about the cabinet, my worry is whether this is safe for the aquarium over time.

The tank has been set up for a couple of weeks now, and after noticing this I shuffled it backwards slightly, so that more of it’s weight is directly over the rear vertical support.

Note the tank also sits on top of a plastic support structure (so the glass is not directly on the cabinet surface).

Am I worrying over nothing or would anybody take action to address this? (If so, what would you do?)

My thoughts for a solution have been to either move the aquarium to the corner of the cabinet, so that it sits on top of two vertical supports. Another idea was to add another piece of wood under the EVO, it would be cut to the same size as the cabinet, distributing the weight better/making the overall beam thicker. My concern would then be whether it would 'slide' off easily.

Thanks

1.JPG
2.JPG

Pet Detective

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would brace it right in the middle with a 2x4 vertically, and then another one underneath that shelf, basically creating a split shelves underneath and that will redistribute the weight, creating more structural integrity.....otherwise, not good bowing like that.

OP
OP
Crazeh

Crazeh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your advice. I'm on board with your idea however due to the v.tight space I then wouldn't be able to store my water buckets (they'd fit but actually getting them in/out would be impossible).

In the same principle of bracing underneath, I could use angle brackets and a stiff horizontal beam on the underside, running along the unsupported edge (maybe in center too)

I'll see what I can get access to and give an update.

For anyone reading more ideas/comments welcome.

Pet Detective

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well whatever you do, I'd address the center of that top platform or maybe find a new place for the buckets???....

OP
OP
Crazeh

Crazeh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Image below of how I was thinking. Supporting rib and heavy duty brackets.

3.JPG

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
temporary you could put a 3/4" piece of plywood on top to distribute the weight over the whole service. Then build yourself a new stand.

OP
OP
Crazeh

Crazeh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update

Thanks everyone for replying. I managed to get this sorted. Some pics attached.

Things to consider for anyone thinking of doing a similar thing...ensure the strip wood itself is straight and ensure the angle brackets are square before you buy.

DSC_2761.JPG
DSC_2758.JPG

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back