CAD Lights PLS-150 DC pump replacement

Projects with Sam

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 2, 2021
Messages
8,286
Reaction score
30,879
Location
Western Springs, IL
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hi,
As the title suggests, I am interested in replacing the pump in my CAD Lights PLS-150 skimmer with a DC pump.

Does anyone have experience with a DC pump that will fit this skimmer? Its the only one that fits!

Thanks!
 
I know its an antique skimmer but it works great! And it fits in my tiny sump.
Ferris Buellers Day Off GIF
 
Understand why you want a skimmer with controllable DC pump but doubt many reefers have ever changed their skimmer pumps to a different type.

Let’s start with a picture of your skimmer and Does your skimmer have the pump internal or external?
 
Switching an Internal pump could be challenging - tolerances are set.

What’s the standard pump that comes with it? Does the manufacturer have a DC version of it or does another manufacturer use that body for a DC pump?
 
Switching an Internal pump could be challenging - tolerances are set.

What’s the standard pump that comes with it? Does the manufacturer have a DC version of it or does another manufacturer use that body for a DC pump?
I'll have to look into all of this. Was hoping to come across someone who has already done it to save the effort. :D
 
I'll have to look into all of this. Was hoping to come across someone who has already done it to save the effort. :D
I don’t think many people swap out their skimmer pump for something different.

May have to sell your skimmer in the marketplace and use the funds to offset the purchase of DC skimmer!
 
I don’t think many people swap out their skimmer pump for something different.

May have to sell your skimmer in the marketplace and use the funds to offset the purchase of DC skimmer!
This. I tried it back when I had my aquamaxx skimmer, and dedicated skimmer pumps with the correct venturi setup are stupid expensive (more than 50% to the cost of a new skimmer IME). Then you have to deal with dimensions and what not...

Ended up buying a DC skimmer that barely fit in my cube sump.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new