Cade 1800 Peninsula New Build

Bradley Creek Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have enjoyed reading other people's build threads over the years so much and it has given me so many ideas that I thought I should do a build a thread for my new system, the Cade 1800 Peninsula. This project has been in the works since last September when I took delivery of the tank. I have been renovating my house and waiting on that to be finished so I could install my new system. I had my cabinet builder build a custom cabinet to wrap around the black Cade stand and build a canopy above to the ceiling, see in pictures. As of this morning, I have the aquascape completed and light RMS mount installed. The aquascape is a whole nother side story that has taken me months to build, I can post more pictures of that later. My cabinet guy is coming back to finish installing the cabinets and trim pieces this week, stay tuned for more pics of that.

I am currently working on cutting out the filter sock baffles in the sump to allow for a Clarisea 5000. If anyone has ideas on how to cut out the baffles as easily as possible that would be helpful. The other modification I am working through is with the Cade plumbing. I plan to cap off the return line from the manifold and run the manifold with a second smaller return pump. I don't want to reduce my turnover in the tank so thought this was a decent idea to allow the main return pump full flow into the display. Only issue here is working with metric PVC. I know I can convert to American standard measurements, but I may just order metric PVC to cut out any conversion pieces.

The tank backs up to a maintenance room where I will have a mixing station for automated water changes and ATO top off reservoir as well as other equipment.

This will be a fish and coral system. I would love to grow sps and some lps. I love acros and torch corals but whatever ends up growing the best is probably what I'll stick with.

I can work up an equipment list for the next post.

Thanks and talk to ya'll soon,

Robert

stand installed.jpg tank installed.jpg canopy installed.jpg rocks & light bar installed.jpg Mixing Room.jpg

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome-planning to buy a tank this fall, possibly Cade. I wish I had a spot for a big peninsula like that.

I agree I would prefer the manifold and main pump return be split. I know they are trying to make it simple and reduce equipment required, but I would rather have them on separate 'circuits' so to speak. If I turn off the main pump for an hour while I'm doing a water change or something, I don't necessarily want water to stop flowing through my algae scrubber etc.

OP
OP
B

Bradley Creek Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got her up and running now. Added ammonia on Saturday to begin the Nitrogen Cycle. Here are a few pictures showing the tank closed up with the lights on as well as a picture with all the cabinets open showing how excisable everything is. Lastly, I have a mediocre picture of the sump. The last bit of equipment I need to buy is a protein skimmer. I'm looking at the Reef Octo 250. I also have an Instagram page for my tank where I post more frequently, @thebradleycreekreefer

Attachments

• full view.jpg
    full view.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 90
  • full view 3.jpg
    full view 3.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 92
  • full view 2.jpg
    full view 2.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 102
  • all open view.jpg
    all open view.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 116
  • sump view.jpg
    sump view.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 116

Reef-N-Stein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got her up and running now. Added ammonia on Saturday to begin the Nitrogen Cycle. Here are a few pictures showing the tank closed up with the lights on as well as a picture with all the cabinets open showing how excisable everything is. Lastly, I have a mediocre picture of the sump. The last bit of equipment I need to buy is a protein skimmer. I'm looking at the Reef Octo 250. I also have an Instagram page for my tank where I post more frequently, @thebradleycreekreefer
Keep an eye on your UV. It’s mounted wrong. And is allowing a big air pocket at the top. The uv can’t fill up in the orientation you have it. Beautiful tank. Wonder why you went with a Cade if you were going to change so much with the stand. Non the less. Great work.

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Keep an eye on your UV. It’s mounted wrong. And is allowing a big air pocket at the top. The uv can’t fill up in the orientation you have it. Beautiful tank. Wonder why you went with a Cade if you were going to change so much with the stand. Non the less. Great work.
I think this is something to consider but it makes you wonder how in the world all the bubbles make their way out of my main drain and gate valve after turning off and restarting my return pump, but they sure enough do and they aren’t going up, they’re going down. If the water movement is strong enough the bubbles can not resist flowing out. I’ve heard this talked about with UV but never actually seen any evidence of air pockets or UV failures.

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you end up using to remove the filter sock holders, and how did it go? I'm leaning strongly toward a Cade but I think I want to try a fleece roller as well. I'm not sure how well Cade glues those sock holders in.

OP
OP
B

Bradley Creek Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning guys, Thanks for your comments, I'll try to answer some of those questions/concerns.

I decided on the Cade because I like the width of the tank over a Waterbox or Redsea. It wouldn't have mattered what brand tank I went with on the stand or sump because I would have modified any system out there some. My Cade is sitting on the Cade stand, I just built custom cabinets around it. I took the Cade stand doors off because my custom cabinet doors are all I need.

Cutting the baffles out of the sump, I use the Red Sea sump mod kit along with fishing line braid. The fishing line braid worked extremely well; you just have to have the right size pound test. Too small and it will break, too big and it won't fit. I will go back and look for the pound test I used and report back later. Also, cutting baffles out and modifying your sump sounds daunting but with the fishing line braid and red sea kit, it was very easy. Just make sure to do everything you can think of before adding water. If you have to do it after water is in, you may have to temporarily drain your sump.

UV bubble issues; I did not think about the issue you brought up and the way I have my UV set up could create air pockets. I will try to figure out another mounting option. I feel like most of the bubbles would blow through but there's no way to tell. I have water running through it now, but the light is not on as I am still cycling my tank.

Ammonia is at .05 now but Nitrites are still around 2. Maybe another week before adding a fish.

Thanks,

Robert - @thebradleycreekreefer

Bakedpwn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks AWESOME! so is the top just hanging supported by some studs in that wall to the side?

afternoondelight

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning guys, Thanks for your comments, I'll try to answer some of those questions/concerns.

I decided on the Cade because I like the width of the tank over a Waterbox or Redsea. It wouldn't have mattered what brand tank I went with on the stand or sump because I would have modified any system out there some. My Cade is sitting on the Cade stand, I just built custom cabinets around it. I took the Cade stand doors off because my custom cabinet doors are all I need.

Cutting the baffles out of the sump, I use the Red Sea sump mod kit along with fishing line braid. The fishing line braid worked extremely well; you just have to have the right size pound test. Too small and it will break, too big and it won't fit. I will go back and look for the pound test I used and report back later. Also, cutting baffles out and modifying your sump sounds daunting but with the fishing line braid and red sea kit, it was very easy. Just make sure to do everything you can think of before adding water. If you have to do it after water is in, you may have to temporarily drain your sump.

UV bubble issues; I did not think about the issue you brought up and the way I have my UV set up could create air pockets. I will try to figure out another mounting option. I feel like most of the bubbles would blow through but there's no way to tell. I have water running through it now, but the light is not on as I am still cycling my tank.

Ammonia is at .05 now but Nitrites are still around 2. Maybe another week before adding a fish.

Thanks,

Robert - @thebradleycreekreefer
Looks fantastic! I am in the process of setting up my Cade 1500 S2 and trying to build out my salt water mixing station as well. Did you by chance automate your ATO reservoir at all? I.e. did you run a line from your RODI tank to ATO rez or do you do it the old fashioned way? I'm trying to automate mine and I'm not exactly sure how I want to do it and haven't seen a lot of examples of guys doing it with Cade's unique gravity-fed rear-mounted rez. Thanks in advance!

Ken

Fishy Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great; can't wait to see it all come together. I'm just up the road from you in Hampstead. Do you plan to get livestock locally or online?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 66 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back