CADE PR900 Build in Canada

Tango99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently upgraded my Fluval EVO 13.5 Gallon after having it a few short months. The Fluval was working great but I was quickly running out of space!

evo13-5.jpg

After looking at some Reef tank options - like Red Sea and custom options, I decided on taking a chance on a CADE system found at a local store in Toronto.
I liked the CADE option because of the aluminum stand and overall build quality. I reached out to see if the PR 900 S2 was available in Canada but the manufacturer sent me to Algae Barn (in the US) who after a few weeks weren't able to get me an price on shipping.

So, CADE PR900 was the option here in Canada.

Location: Flourish Aquarium in Markham had the CADE PR-900 -- the owners Michael and Andy were very helpful.

Seen at LFS in Toronto (Markham) --
CADE-In-STORE.jpg

Pickup at their warehouse:
IMG_20201128_171436.jpg

This big plywood box wouldn't fit in my vehicle. I had to remove it from the crate -- it barely fit in my vehicle!
BTW- these tanks are pretty heavy! Bring a friend!

The aluminum stand in the CADE PR-900 has a nice feature where both ends have a compartment for power.
This hides all of your power cables and makes it easy to turn pumps/lights on&off.

I made one small customization in the sump. I drilled the back and connected it to a drain in my basement. I also added a side drain to allow for easy water changes.

Below: Overflow in the sump to my drain.

IMG_20201204_204804.jpg

Additional drain added in the side compartment -- makes it easy when siphoning the gravel.
Hopefully I won't need to lug around any buckets!

IMG_20201204_204817.jpg

Below: Tank Setup and cycling. You'll see the hole behind the tank - this lets me fill the tank from another room. (and will be used for water changes)

IMG_20201211_172700.jpg

Below: Rocks/Corals moved from the EVO 13.5

IMG_20201222_135031.jpg

Funny how small things look in a bigger tank!

IMG_20201222_135036.jpg

Build of materials:
CADE Pro Reef (PR-900)
- tank and sump.
- includes: 2x wavemakers, and gravity fed ATO
2x Heaters- Eheim 150w, +100w. One heater wasn't enough to keep the temp steady. (250-320w is likely adequate after some reading 3-4w per gallon) -79 Gallon according to CADE specs.
Light - Nicrew 100w HyperReef Aquarium LED Reef Light (might be temporary - looking at Kessil AP9X or maybe even ReeFi DUO). I like the look of only having one light. A couple of local stores recommended 2x AI Hydra 32.
2x Red Sea Media cups w/ Bio Rings.
1 40lb bag of CaribSea Fiji Pink
Water - RedSea Blue bucket (and Instant Ocean - was between boxes)
Return pump - Jebao BCA-6000 (This pump has great output in is virtually silent!)
Wavemaker - I replaced one the pumps in the kit with a Sicce Syncra 1.5. The pump kits were fairly quiet but the Sicce is almost silent. The Sicce took around a day to settle in)

Everything seems to be running well. Water changes are very easy - I just pump water into the display (via the hose above the tank) and then have all the extra flow out the overflow in the sump.

We've added some new friends into the tank:
IMG_20201231_112721_1.jpg
IMG_20201229_195527.jpg

"Dory" likes to sleep on the frag rack!

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tango99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tango99 Thanks for posting this! Do you know if they carry the other Cade tanks there? and this one was priced at $2500 CAD? Isn't that the same as the US pricing? Seems like a good deal!

Yes, that is the price in store and pleasantly priced given the exchange rate. They had some 'holiday' discounts too and had some discounted "built but unused" display tanks too.

What I saw in store for sizing: (reef tanks)
PR-1500
PR-1200
PR-900 (the 900m/35.5" wide model I purchased)
PR-600

They have a lot of freshwater models too.

I have been impressed with the build quality of the CADE system.

I did have to replace the power bars for better positioning of the plugs -- I used a 1U switchable power supply (that would normally go on a DC rack) and it works perfect in within the side panel of the CADE stand.

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that is the price in store and pleasantly priced given the exchange rate. They had some 'holiday' discounts too and had some discounted "built but unused" display tanks too.

What I saw in store for sizing: (reef tanks)
PR-1500
PR-1200
PR-900 (the 900m/35.5" wide model I purchased)
PR-600

They have a lot of freshwater models too.

I have been impressed with the build quality of the CADE system.

I did have to replace the power bars for better positioning of the plugs -- I used a 1U switchable power supply (that would normally go on a DC rack) and it works perfect in within the side panel of the CADE stand.
This is super helpful, thanks so much for taking the time! Looking forward to seeing more about your tank in the future!

encathal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the tank, looks great. On your list of hardware, I did not see you mention a skimmer. Are you running one?

I got one on order, also waiting for the day it shows up at my door.

OP
OP
T

Tango99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the tank, looks great. On your list of hardware, I did not see you mention a skimmer. Are you running one?

I got one on order, also waiting for the day it shows up at my door.
No skimmer installed yet. I have a skimmer sitting in a box but I have not installed it yet. The tank seems to be doing well -- and the testing numbers seem very consistent.

It is very easy for me to do water changes with the mod I made to the sump.

OP
OP
T

Tango99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great tank @Tango99. I am also in Toronto and looking to get back into the hobby after a 15 year hiatus. If you can spare some time, I would love to pick your brain on the Cade tank you got in Markham.

Hi. Sure, feel free to send me a message.

The CADE system has been perfect. I can't believe it's been >3 years!!!

Couple of items I've had to replace.
1xEheim Heater.
1x Wave maker (the original (the free wave maker with the kit is more reliable than the aftermarket I had purchased)

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 135 75.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 27 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back