Cadillac Splice??!!

BCSreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Therman. Could be a virus and most likely a retrovirus. Retroviruses integrate into the host genome and can pick up bits of host DNA and transfer it when they replicate and infect a new host.

I have a GC Ultimate Efflo that developed a single very bright fluorescent green polyp. I managed to cut it out and mount it. It is now a mini-colony and has held its color for over 2 years.

I would try to cut a frag or 2 from it and see how it develops.

Although, it could just be the water in Ohio :D

OP
OP
Sweet Reef Corals

Sweet Reef Corals

SweetReefOH on IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I agree with Therman. Could be a virus and most likely a retrovirus. Retroviruses integrate into the host genome and can pick up bits of host DNA and transfer it when they replicate and infect a new host.

I have a GC Ultimate Efflo that developed a single very bright fluorescent green polyp. I managed to cut it out and mount it. It is now a mini-colony and has held its color for over 2 years.

I would try to cut a frag or 2 from it and see how it develops.

Although, it could just be the water in Ohio :D
Does the mini colony of your efflo frag have all Fluorescent green polyps or is it both colors?

Ya I’m going to cut/plug it tomorrow and start a grow out to see how it develops.

I pull water straight out of the swamp in the back yard and add table salt.... Think that’s what did it? o_O

BCSreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is solid green with reddish body where not illuminated. In my system the GC Efflo has very little PE, so I have no idea of polyp color. I attached an iPhone photo of the regular GC Efflo and then a photo of the "morph" mini-colony, which is dead center. Sorry about photo quality.

I look forward to seeing how your frag develops!

Swamp water and table salt is what all Ohio reefers use :D Actually, I made the comment since you, I and Therman are all Ohio reefers observing the same phenomenon.

I also had something similar happen to an orange M. cap. Bright green patch in the center, but I lost that frag when it fell off the rack.

IMG_0029(1).JPG

IMG_0030(1).JPG

OP
OP
Sweet Reef Corals

Sweet Reef Corals

SweetReefOH on IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Great pics, that is a drastic difference in colors. It‘s cool that you have a whole colony of the “morph”. And it’s crazy bright!

Ya I knew what you meant : ) It is odd that it seems to be prolific in Ohio lol.

So I wonder if this will now happen to other acros in my system since the infected protein is obviously present?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Man, that's beautiful!

BCSreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great pics, that is a drastic difference in colors. It‘s cool that you have a whole colony of the “morph”. And it’s crazy bright!

Ya I knew what you meant : ) It is odd that it seems to be prolific in Ohio lol.

So I wonder if this will now happen to other acros in my system since the infected protein is obviously present?
Maybe! In 25 years, I've only seen it twice and both popped up about the same time in 2020.

I'll get some better photos with the DSLR next week. Need to travel shortly. Also, I'll clean the glass since it had some film algae which blurred the photos a bit.

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
It is solid green with reddish body where not illuminated. In my system the GC Efflo has very little PE, so I have no idea of polyp color. I attached an iPhone photo of the regular GC Efflo and then a photo of the "morph" mini-colony, which is dead center. Sorry about photo quality.

I look forward to seeing how your frag develops!

Swamp water and table salt is what all Ohio reefers use :D Actually, I made the comment since you, I and Therman are all Ohio reefers observing the same phenomenon.

I also had something similar happen to an orange M. cap. Bright green patch in the center, but I lost that frag when it fell off the rack.

IMG_0029(1).JPG

IMG_0030(1).JPG
So it's the bright green one? I think I see a couple of normally colored branches off the left side of it too?

OP
OP
Sweet Reef Corals

Sweet Reef Corals

SweetReefOH on IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Maybe! In 25 years, I've only seen it twice and both popped up about the same time in 2020.

I'll get some better photos with the DSLR next week. Need to travel shortly. Also, I'll clean the glass since it had some film algae which blurred the photos a bit.
Incredible! Seems that it’s more rare than I originally thought. I guess it also matters what type of coral is affected as well. I’ve not heard of another “grafted” Pink Cadillac thus far.

Yes, photos are always good : ) Post em up when you get back!

BCSreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's the bright green one? I think I see a couple of normally colored branches off the left side of it too?
Good eyes! Yes, the bright green one. It does have some pale branches on the left. It was on egg crate for a month and that part may have been shaded. It is still not in its final position in the DT. When I get back, I'll take a side-by-side shot.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no brown. You can see the typical purplish coloration of the Pink Cadillac. Then you see the bright green swirling into it. That is foreign DNA. From what Ive learned over the last few hours is that it is likely a green protein “virus”. For it to be a grafted coral it would have had to have been growing next to (touching) another coral and fused together. That never happened to my colony.
Its cool, and I don't know what this is or why it spliced DNA, grafted, or Drank the Ohio River Water? I have seen similar changes in other corals in reef tanks and have loosely call those changes "grafting." Thanks for posting the thread, I will have to read the articles (after?) work!

I did take a quick look about because I do recall seeing other colored "Cadillacs" offered by vendors. I don't recall who or what but i did findTHIS HHERE

. I'm dealing with the flu and my brain has foreign viral dna invading. Thanks again for this thread and the pictures. It's beautiful and I will accept a free Rainbow pimp Caddy.

CL-MC-11-9.jpg

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got the "grafted" Cadillac too. I believe it got the GFP infection from my Rainbow Splice which is in the same tank. A friend of mine also has a Pink Cadillac doing this. Here are before and after pics...

Before going in the same tank as Rainbow Splice:
RR Pink Cadillac.jpg

After being in the same tank for over a year:
RR Pink Cadillac.jpg

OP
OP
Sweet Reef Corals

Sweet Reef Corals

SweetReefOH on IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Funny
I've got the "grafted" Cadillac too. I believe it got the GFP infection from my Rainbow Splice which is in the same tank. A friend of mine also has a Pink Cadillac doing this. Here are before and after pics...

Before going in the same tank as Rainbow Splice:
RR Pink Cadillac.jpg

After being in the same tank for over a year:
RR Pink Cadillac.jpg
Funny you say that....the GFP started showing up on this not long after I put your Rainbow Splice in my system!

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also in Ohio and also have green on my pink cadillac, you see it on fast new growth. I had a new frag so green I thought it was a different coral. Unfortunately it goes back to the usual pink after a while, yours probably will too.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the viral infection to me. I have a pink caddi that turned completely green, but has since started regaining the red color. I also have the tgc pink caddi version that turned green also. That one is just a couple frags I saved before the colony went up in smoke during the texas freeze. I can post pics later

OP
OP
Sweet Reef Corals

Sweet Reef Corals

SweetReefOH on IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm also in Ohio and also have green on my pink cadillac, you see it on fast new growth. I had a new frag so green I thought it was a different coral. Unfortunately it goes back to the usual pink after a while, yours probably will too.
What about you BradB, do you have a Rainbow Splice in the same system as your Pink Cadillac??

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 120 43.2%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 133 47.8%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 12 4.3%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 2.9%
Back