Cadillac Splice??!!

Sweet Reef Corals

SweetReefOH on IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hey guys, check this out. I’m fairly uninformed when it comes to grafted vs. protein infected corals. Can someone fill me in on the differences??

As I was taking some colony shots today, I came across my RR Pink Cadillac. I had seen this green appearing and just looked past it, thinking that it’s just because it’s in a lower par area of the system and likely turning green. Today I took a shot of it and to my amazement, It’s grafted, or spliced or infected....whatever you call it!! Not sure which. So what is going on here? And do I have a new Sweet Reef Corals piece that I can name the Cadillac Splice?? :p;)
A9543710-457F-4896-B4E6-B609F0F2A534.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey guys, check this out. I’m fairly uninformed when it comes to grafted vs. protein infected corals. Can someone fill me in on the differences??

As I was taking some colony shots today, I came across my RR Pink Cadillac. I had seen this green appearing and just looked past it, thinking that it’s just because it’s in a lower par area of the system and likely turning green. Today I took a shot of it and to my amazement, It’s grafted, or spliced or infected....whatever you call it!! Not sure which. So what is going on here? And do I have a new Sweet Reef Corals piece that I can name the Cadillac Splice?? :p;)
A9543710-457F-4896-B4E6-B609F0F2A534.jpeg
1. It does not look like a low PAR area - unless you are lighting from the bottom
2. Coral often change zooxanthellae over time - such that they change color - depending on light, nutrients, etc.

IMHO

OP
OP
Sweet Reef Corals

Sweet Reef Corals

SweetReefOH on IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Is it actually grafted or just turning from green to brown?

Can you get closer up(macro) pics?

Cool either way. Hurry up, chop it up, and sell each 1/4 nub for $1000. lol
There is no brown. You can see the typical purplish coloration of the Pink Cadillac. Then you see the bright green swirling into it. That is foreign DNA. From what Ive learned over the last few hours is that it is likely a green protein “virus”. For it to be a grafted coral it would have had to have been growing next to (touching) another coral and fused together. That never happened to my colony.

Last edited:

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The first hyped one I can remember was the Tyree grafted simplex. BC had the grafted Hung’s rainbow, I have a setosa that is now partially gold and green. My Orenji got purple and green spots after being kept in the same tub as the CC Pop Rocks monti.

OP
OP
Sweet Reef Corals

Sweet Reef Corals

SweetReefOH on IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The first hyped one I can remember was the Tyree grafted simplex. BC had the grafted Hung’s rainbow, I have a setosa that is now partially gold and green. My Orenji got purple and green spots after being kept in the same tub as the CC Pop Rocks monti.
I found the Reef Builders article on GFP. Thanks for the tip.

You say BC had the “grafted” Rainbow. It’s not really grafted, but infected right? It seems that the term “grafted” is being used to sound less troublesome than “infected” lol. Or am I misinterpreting something?

OP
OP
Sweet Reef Corals

Sweet Reef Corals

SweetReefOH on IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
My pink Cadillac gets the same color green around where its base is encrusting but nothing in the branches like you have. Pretty cool stick
I’m pretty stoked about it. I really like where the colors streak and swirl. I may frag one of those branches to see how it grows out.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back