Cadlights Used stand trustworthiness

ozborn99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I picked up a Cad70 tank for a great deal, but the stand it came with doesn't seem solid compared to other stands I've had or built.

As a sanity check, since it's used, I retightened all the screws. It seemed to help make the stand more stable, but it still seems like there is a little bit of wiggle on the stand.

Should I trust this? I got it from a nice reputable reefer. I'm just a little concerned since it's 70 gallons on top of the stand. I'd assume the stand should feel solid like a brick, and not have any movement.

I did notice some strange gaps inside the stand. Should I be concerned about those?

IMG_20200408_134128.jpg IMG_20200408_134040.jpg IMG_20200408_134033.jpg IMG_20200408_134023.jpg

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO if there is a question, I wouldn't use it..
Wouldn't it be terrible to second guess yourself AFTER the fact if something did go sideways?

OP
OP
ozborn99

ozborn99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO if there is a question, I wouldn't use it..
Wouldn't it be terrible to second guess yourself AFTER the fact if something did go sideways?
While true, I'm not sure if I'm over paranoid and the stand is totally fine, and that's just the construction of CAD stands.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cad make two different type stands, one with mostly MDF those are questionable, the other are made of plywood those are fine. When you grab opposite ends of the stand and shake, does the stand wobble?

OP
OP
ozborn99

ozborn99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cad make two different type stands, one with mostly MDF those are questionable, the other are made of plywood those are fine. When you grab opposite ends of the stand and shake, does the stand wobble?
It looks like solid wood inside. I can see plywood texture on the main studs inside the cabinet. I'd read about the MDF stands. When I try to rock the stand, it's solid, but I can feel , what seems to be, about 1-3 cm of movement. It could totally be fine, but I need make sure if I should consider adding additional bracing or just assume it's fine .

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try to tighten them, be careful not to strip the wood, a good cordless impact driver works great.

OP
OP
ozborn99

ozborn99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try to tighten them, be careful not to strip the wood, a good cordless impact driver works great.
That's what I did earlier today. Took each screw out then went back in a little tighter than before. I might add a horizontal cross brace just for sanity sake. I just hate to add one more task before setting up this tank. Gotta have something to do over this quarantine.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back