Cal. level dropped after W/C

firefightered

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been (i think) trying to crash on me. I have been doing 10% water changes every couple of day to get my perimeters back in line. I rescaped my rock to get rid of some dead spots. I checked my cal. before the water change (360) After the change it dropped to 280. What would cause this and what can i do to fix it? I use IO salt.

florida reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be an inconsistency in the salt or maybe the test kit was off. Did you test it more than once? 360 is a little low to begin with. A bad batch of salt may explain the trouble you've been having keeping your parameters in line. I'm not definitively saying that's the cause, but I have read some bad experiences with bad batches of salt.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My tank has been (i think) trying to crash on me. I have been doing 10% water changes every couple of day to get my perimeters back in line. I rescaped my rock to get rid of some dead spots. I checked my cal. before the water change (360) After the change it dropped to 280. What would cause this and what can i do to fix it? I use IO salt.

Check youR saltwater used for makeup.. I had a bad batch of coral life salt once. Either they left out the calcium or it did not dissolve. Salt can get old.

Dave Polzin

Last edited:

firsttime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like a bad batch of salt.

Also if you are using salt from bucket, tumble the salt before using it.

OP
OP
firefightered

firefightered

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
now that I think of it, when I opened this bag and started using it. I have started seeing cyno bacteria and lots of hair algea and my perimeters have droped (alk,cal,ect.) I may have goten a bad batch...... Ive been at my witts end trying to figure out what is going on with my tank. It's only a 46gal bf so it will effect it faster than a larger tank. So I guess if i continue using this bag of salt I could be doing more harm than good. I guess I'll go out and get some new salt mix.........

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the rest of your parameters? IO has lower ca and mag numbers but their alk is usually very high (around 12 dkh.)

OP
OP
firefightered

firefightered

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk went from 7DKH to 8DKH., Cal. went from 360 to 280. I was increasing water changes to help lift my perimeters. I was trying to boost both alk and cal. But look what happened.

Back