Calcium Dosing stressing my euphelia

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just installed a Neptune Trident to discover that my Hanna calcium checker has been off by about180 ppm.
So, I’ve been adjusting from 280ppm up to 420 ppm by dosing enough to increase 10-15 ppm per day. Today was my first attempt to push a 25 ppm swing (currently at 365 ppm).
My question is why my Euphelia is looking increasingly retracted the closer I get to what should be a healthy calcium level? Is this normal? Are euphelia more sensitive to parameter swings than other corals?
My torch looks super happy and my SPS are all showing healthier color and growth tips by the day, so that’s why I’m curious about this.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your help. I’ll take it slow just in case.
How did you determine your Hanna was off by 180? Mine I compared to an ICP calcium test result but there is a history of inaccuracy with Hanna calcium checkers. Raising calcium is not as delicate as raising alk for a reef tank but slow is always best. Be sure to check alk number as calcium rises too.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ClownSchool

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both the
How did you determine your Hanna was off by 180? Mine I compared to an ICP calcium test result but there is a history of inaccuracy with Hanna calcium checkers. Raising calcium is not as delicate as raising alk for a reef tank but slow is always best. Be sure to check alk number as calcium rises too.
Both my Salifert and my Neptune Trident showed 160 and 180 lower than the Hanna test. Then, I read that Hanna calcium checker is notoriously off by a lot and considered the worst checker in the Hanna series. So, I considered the chance for some human error with the Salifert, I went with the Trident’s results.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ClownSchool

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve noticed the parameter most effected has been my pH dropping.

Upvote 0
Back