Calcium hydroxide storage

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read somewhere that my big bag of calcium hydroxide needs to be sealed in a bucket. Is this necessary? The bag is open and i just scoop some powder when I need it but i don't close it.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemistry, I forget.

Google says:
Calcium hydroxide should be stored in a designated corrosives cabinet inside a secondary container and labeled as “corrosive”. Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Keep away from strong acids.Nov 29, 2012

calcium hydroxide - NJ.gov

https://nj.gov › health › eoh › rtkweb › documents

PDF

* Do not eat, smoke, or drink where Calcium Hydroxide is handled, processed, or stored, since the chemical can be swallowed. Wash hands carefully before eating, ...
6 pages

There you have it. I think you will be ok as long as you don't travel with it to New Jersey. hth.

But wait:

https://nj.gov/health/eoh/rtkweb/documents/fs/0322.pdf

"In the presence of moisture, calcium hydroxide may react with metals to form flammable and explosive hydrogen gas!"​

I think the metal bucket should be stored outside myself. Good luck!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read somewhere that my big bag of calcium hydroxide needs to be sealed in a bucket. Is this necessary? The bag is open and i just scoop some powder when I need it but i don't close it.
I hope Cory saw my update? MEtal bucket is recommended but keep the bucket dry? These things are complicated>

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify but the unmixed powder needs to be closed up?

Yes. :)

A sealed plastic bag with a twist tie will do except for very long term (years).

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. :)

A sealed plastic bag with a twist tie will do except for very long term (years).
Perfect thank you! Its strange they sell them in paper bags. Come to think of it i think there is a plastic liner inside.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect thank you! Its strange they sell them in paper bags. Come to think of it i think there is a plastic liner inside.
Planned expiration to keep business busy. It’s really great to have a knowledgeable chemistry providing information above and beyond my alchemy experience.
I love this site for that.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 22.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back