Calcium level

James Robert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My system has been out of balance. With 0 No3 and elevated Po4
I have working on that part.
Here is where I need help. My tank consist of 215 gal, all mature SPS colonies.
I have been dosing 115 ml cal, and 100 ml alk daily, for some time now.
Since my tank got out of balance, for the last few weeks, been dosing 25 ml alk.
And had to stop dosing cal altogether. Have not dosed in a week, still 500.ppm
My Alk is 8.4
Is there anything I need to be doing, besides WC, and letting the Cal drop.
My question, why is the coral not using it up. Is it because of the imbalance of the system.
Mag 1295

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi James, can you add any pictures of what doesn't look right with the coral colonies and frags? Sometimes this helps immensely!

I'd also lean to testing error, but as you stated above, you have results from ICP, Red Sea, and Salifert. What were the differences between the test results for those three?

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming it's not testing error, the numbers would indicate that your corals have stopped growing. You say they don't look right, so that is consistent and suggests the same. Rule out unnoticed parameter swings, coral disease, malfunctioning pump or rusting magnet, electrical fault, toxins in the water. How high is your phosphate?

OP
OP
James Robert

James Robert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ICP-502
Red Sea - 490
Salifert-500
When I say corals and frags look bad. Really should say not growing.
I did loose 4 colonies. RTN is where it started.
Since I posted this, I believe I found my answer to why the calcium is high. " Corals are not growing."
I believe it was a result of 2 months ago of dosing out dated phytoplankton. That's when it all started. Just going to do regular WC and see what happens. I have not cleaned my glass in over a week, and it's clear. That alone tells me something is not right.Here is a pic with out cleaning the glass in over a week.
20181211_154213.jpg

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ICP-502
Red Sea - 490
Salifert-500
When I say corals and frags look bad. Really should say not growing.
I did loose 4 colonies. RTN is where it started.
Since I posted this, I believe I found my answer to why the calcium is high. " Corals are not growing."
I believe it was a result of 2 months ago of dosing out dated phytoplankton. That's when it all started. Just going to do regular WC and see what happens. I have not cleaned my glass in over a week, and it's clear. That alone tells me something is not right.Here is a pic with out cleaning the glass in over a week.
20181211_154213.jpg
Did alkalinity also stop or slow on you?

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you really have zero nitrates and you say elevated phosphates may explain why corals stopped growing but also an alk swing about a week before the rtn could be cause.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I'm guessing the same as Bruce..

Elevated PO4 and bottoming out NO3 probably stunted the growth. I'm guessing that after the growth was stunted, alkalinity and calcium elevated enough to potentially cause the RTN (if it is related).

Did you notice a spike in Alk and Cal?

Aside from that, I would get your hands on some Sodium Nitrate and start dosing to get nitrate detectable. You'll likely see a drop in PO4 as nitrate increases. Go slowly though!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming it's not testing error, the numbers would indicate that your corals have stopped growing. You say they don't look right, so that is consistent and suggests the same. Rule out unnoticed parameter swings, coral disease, malfunctioning pump or rusting magnet, electrical fault, toxins in the water. How high is your phosphate?
How is he still using that much alk is the question.

OP
OP
James Robert

James Robert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 2 months ago, I noticed pale colors. Checked No3. Dead zero. Po4 was 0.08
Was told to feed heavy, did nothing, had bottle of phytoplankton in fridge, stated dosing. After a few days. Tank covered with GHA.
Come to find out Phytoplankton was expired. I did end up dosing sodium nitrate. It did get my no3 to a good level. 6 ppm after aweek. I don't need to dose any sodium nitrate anymore.
I have patchs of GHA here and there, Not terribly bad.
Only thing dosing is Alk 25ml a day.
This is what I tested today
Cal- 500
Alk-8.0
Mag-1200
Ph-8.35
Temp-77.4
No3-6ppm
Po4- 0.04

Trevor40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk spike is the culprit. It upset your acros and they stopped using Ca and little Alk. Keep it stable again and things will recover.

What caused the Alk spike?

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO the best and safest way to get your parameters back in line is with multiple large water changes.. when in doubt water change it out ;)

OP
OP
James Robert

James Robert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alkalinity spike unexplained.
But it's never happened before with my doser.
I agree on WC. Seems the corals are smiling .Getting some good PE from Walt Disney.

Back