CALCIUM LEVELS RISING AND NOT DOSING

jgaroppo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so 2 days ago I did a water change, the next morning I checked my levels. Calcium 450, alkalinity, 8.5, salinity on the Hannah checker is 35.5 ppt. So then I did dose my fuel and acro power under recommended dosing and I dose that twice a week. Usually once a week I am dosing alkalinity, not much but a little just bringing it back to 8.5 from 8. Tank has been going for about 9 months now I do have a moderately high coral load somewhere around 30 frags and only 1 small colony. Mainly acros, a few torches and some lps and a few small zoa colonies. Well I tested my calcium today and it came out to 510. This has been a issue for quite some time I cannot keep my calcium below 500 but does not go above 560. Can someone help is there a chemical reaction am I pulling calcium out of my corals. I’m stumped thanks.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so 2 days ago I did a water change, the next morning I checked my levels. Calcium 450, alkalinity, 8.5, salinity on the Hannah checker is 35.5 ppt. So then I did dose my fuel and acro power under recommended dosing and I dose that twice a week. Usually once a week I am dosing alkalinity, not much but a little just bringing it back to 8.5 from 8. Tank has been going for about 9 months now I do have a moderately high coral load somewhere around 30 frags and only 1 small colony. Mainly acros, a few torches and some lps and a few small zoa colonies. Well I tested my calcium today and it came out to 510. This has been a issue for quite some time I cannot keep my calcium below 500 but does not go above 560. Can someone help is there a chemical reaction am I pulling calcium out of my corals. I’m stumped thanks.

What alk product are you dosing?

Some of these sorts of swings may be test variation rather than real changes.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oceans blend

So you are using just the alk part of the two part system, and find calcium is rising?

How much of the alk part are you using each day?

If you are not using the wrong half of the two part, then test error is the most likely reason for the ups and downs of calcium, and I'd just keep watching it.

Calcium below 600 ppm is not a concern, and some salt mixes start above 500 ppm.

OP
OP
J

jgaroppo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you are using just the alk part of the two part system, and find calcium is rising?

How much of the alk part are you using each day?

If you are not using the wrong half of the two part, then test error is the most likely reason for the ups and downs of calcium, and I'd just keep watching it.

Calcium below 600 ppm is not a concern, and some salt mixes start above 500 ppm.
Yes just the alk part I have not even had to open the calcium yet. I have a drop about once a week right now down to 8 and I’m dosing 30ml to bring it back up to 8.5. I think I determined it was the Hana checker I used the salafert to test and it came out to 480 then really paid attention to what I was doing with the Hana checker and it came out to 476. I think I wasn’t allowing enough time for the powder regeant to dissolve and allowing enough time for air bubbles to dissipate. Since I’ve been doing that readings have been lower and steadily dropping each day. Last night it was down to 461 and alk was at 8.5. So I might be dosing calcium soon I’m thinking. I moved some of my rocks this past week and noticed that my bubblegum digi’s skeleton was kinda soft so I’m hoping I have not been administering the test too fast and getting the wrong results and actually having a much lower reading and not dosing when I should be dosing. But that looks to be the case

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes just the alk part I have not even had to open the calcium yet. I have a drop about once a week right now down to 8 and I’m dosing 30ml to bring it back up to 8.5. I think I determined it was the Hana checker I used the salafert to test and it came out to 480 then really paid attention to what I was doing with the Hana checker and it came out to 476. I think I wasn’t allowing enough time for the powder regeant to dissolve and allowing enough time for air bubbles to dissipate. Since I’ve been doing that readings have been lower and steadily dropping each day. Last night it was down to 461 and alk was at 8.5. So I might be dosing calcium soon I’m thinking. I moved some of my rocks this past week and noticed that my bubblegum digi’s skeleton was kinda soft so I’m hoping I have not been administering the test too fast and getting the wrong results and actually having a much lower reading and not dosing when I should be dosing. But that looks to be the case

FWIW, if you are only seeing an alk drop of 0.5 dKH per week, I don't think you can easily detect the expected calcium drop of only 3 ppm per week.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 32.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 41 20.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 40 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%

Back