Calcium Nitrate

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alot of people have reported high amounts of amonia I the calcium nitrate. Some products have a massive amount. I'll purchase some and test and see how I go. I guess it just depends on how much you require to dose
I never heard of that so never tested. I dosed 5ppm and saw no issues. Besides in a mature system I would think that ammonia would be quickly dealt with by the nitrogen cycling bacteria already present in the system.

The way I see it is that the vast majority of ingredients is calcium and nitrate. Only a tiny amount is added to the system to achieve the desired level so impurities must be insignificant. I added less than 20ml to 700L of water to achieve the desired nitrate level so I can’t imagine how insignificant the ammonia added would be. I certainly saw no negative effects. Also the LCA product is for aquarium use. Let me know how you go :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never heard of that so never tested. I dosed 5ppm and saw no issues. Besides in a mature system I would think that ammonia would be quickly dealt with by the nitrogen cycling bacteria already present in the system.

The way I see it is that the vast majority of ingredients is calcium and nitrate. Only a tiny amount is added to the system to achieve the desired level so impurities must be insignificant. I added less than 20ml to 700L of water to achieve the desired nitrate level so I can’t imagine how insignificant the ammonia added would be. I certainly saw no negative effects. Also the LCA product is for aquarium use. Let me know how you go :)

Ammonia is actually quite substantial in some types of calcium nitrate. It’s not a trace impurity. One I just looked up on Amazon has 1% ammonia nitrogen and 14.5% nitrate nitrogen. Still, unless you give a big dose all at once, that is probably ok, and may be desirable.

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia is actually quite substantial in some types of calcium nitrate. It’s not a trace impurity. One I just looked up on Amazon has 1% ammonia nitrogen and 14.5% nitrate nitrogen. Still, unless you give a big dose all at once, that is probably ok, and may be desirable.
Interesting, good to know!
My bottle says the following..

1.43g in 100L yields:
7.5ppm Nitrate
2.42ppm Calcium
0.34 gDH

Does this leave room for impurities such as ammonia? I should have paid attention in chemistry :(

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1.43g in 100L yields:
7.5ppm Nitrate
2.42ppm Calcium
0.34 gDH

Does this leave room for impurities such as ammonia? I should have paid attention in chemistry :(

You cannot get purity from that sort of data. 750 mg of nitrate and 242 mg of calcium (992 mg total) leaves about a half gram unaccounted for (probably mostly water).

epicfatigue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1.43g in 100L yields:
7.5ppm Nitrate
2.42ppm Calcium
0.34 gDH

You can add some drops to a fresh salt mix and measure the amonia and nitrate to work it out

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased some calcium nitrate from ebay, sold for aquarium use.

I created a solution of 25g in 100ml water which roughly should result in 1ppm nitrate in 100l tank with a 1ml dose.

I then added 1ml to 50l of tank water and tested the ammonia level.
The result with a salifert test kit was 0.5ppm Total Ammonia for an increase of 2ppm NO3 which is a lot higher than I expected.

With a pH of 8.2 and a temp of 26 C that results in Free (Toxic) Ammonia of 0.044ppm.
So I probably wouldn't want to increase Nitrate by more than 2-3 ppm per day with that product.

If my numbers are wrong let me know :)

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased some calcium nitrate from ebay, sold for aquarium use.

I created a solution of 25g in 100ml water which roughly should result in 1ppm nitrate in 100l tank with a 1ml dose.

I then added 1ml to 50l of tank water and tested the ammonia level.
The result with a salifert test kit was 0.5ppm Total Ammonia for an increase of 2ppm NO3 which is a lot higher than I expected.

With a pH of 8.2 and a temp of 26 C that results in Free (Toxic) Ammonia of 0.044ppm.
So I probably wouldn't want to increase Nitrate by more than 2-3 ppm per day with that product.

If my numbers are wrong let me know :)
So if it was dosed slowly throughout the day I would assume the nitrogen cycle would take care of that pretty efficiently?

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if it was dosed slowly throughout the day I would assume the nitrogen cycle would take care of that pretty efficiently?
If my numbers are correct, I'm pretty sure in a tank well stocked with Coral, the Coral will get to the Ammonia before the bacteria.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"I created a solution of 25g in 100ml water which roughly should result in 1ppm nitrate in 100l tank with a 1ml dose."

I think that is off by close to a factor of 2.

Calcium nitrate is 75.6% nitrate by weight.

25 grams contains 18.9 grams of nitrate

25 g in 100 mL gives 18,900 mg nitrate/100 mL = 189 mg/mL

If you add one ml to 100 L, you get a 1.89 mg/L boost.

Thus, the ammonia boost is a bit over half what you calculated.

Too much, IMO, for once a day dosing of more than 1-2 ppm nitrate,

Spread out through the day (not usually necessary for nitrate dosing, IMO), then yes, it is likely Ok at 2 ppm nitrate dosed.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"I created a solution of 25g in 100ml water which roughly should result in 1ppm nitrate in 100l tank with a 1ml dose."

I think that is off by close to a factor of 2.

Calcium nitrate is 75.6% nitrate by weight.

25 grams contains 18.9 grams of nitrate

25 g in 100 mL gives 18,900 mg nitrate/100 mL = 189 mg/mL

If you add one ml to 100 L, you get a 1.89 mg/L boost.

Thus, the ammonia boost is a bit over half what you calculated.

Too much, IMO, for once a day dosing of more than 1-2 ppm nitrate,

Spread out through the day (not usually necessary for nitrate dosing, IMO), then yes, it is likely Ok at 2 ppm nitrate dosed.
I'm confused :)

CaNo3 is approx 100 Ca and 64 N = 164 g/mol

So isn't that 64/164= 39% N by weight?

As you can tell I have spectrum analyzers on my bench, not bunsen burners :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm confused :)

CaNo3 is approx 100 Ca and 64 N = 164 g/mol

So isn't that 64/164= 39% N by weight?

As you can tell I have spectrum analyzers on my bench, not bunsen burners :)

Calcium nitrate has two nitrates for each calcium. Ca(N03)2. Also, the molecular weight of calcium is only 40 g/mole.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium nitrate has two nitrates for each calcium. Ca(N03)2. Also, the molecular weight of calcium is only 40 g/mole.
Ouch, didn't notice that second pesky nitrate, and somehow goofed on the Ca MW.
A comedy of errors really :)

Thanks for the advice - I don't really think that's a suitable product for a reef tank - maybe a heavily planted freshwater tank.

Unfortunately Sodium Nitrate is not available here without an EUD as it is classed as a drug precursor and is a restricted product.

Look like I'm stuck with overpriced commercial products. Thanks again.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used calcium nitrate to bring nitrate levels up .
I haven’t tested calcium after dosing but I have noticed the increase in alkalinity

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 31

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch, didn't notice that second pesky nitrate, and somehow goofed on the Ca MW.
A comedy of errors really :)

Thanks for the advice - I don't really think that's a suitable product for a reef tank - maybe a heavily planted freshwater tank.

Unfortunately Sodium Nitrate is not available here without an EUD as it is classed as a drug precursor and is a restricted product.

Look like I'm stuck with overpriced commercial products. Thanks again.

No problem. Slow dosing may be OK. :)

Back