Calcium Nitrate

Chuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone I've come across a deal on reagent grade calcium nitrate Ca(NO3)2 5 lbs for $15 which is about 1/2 the cost of sodium nitrate. I'm wondering if anyone has used that to boost both nitrates and calcium at the same time.
It seems like a win win to me.
I did some rough math and if I mix 100 g of calcium nitrate into 1 L of DI water I would have a ~7500 ppm nitrate solution that also has ~ 2500 ppm Ca. My system is a little over 100 gal so every mL of that solution would raise my nitrates ~0.2 ppm and my Ca should go up 0.006 ppm. I want to dose to about 2.5 ppm nitrate in the tank which would require 12.5 mL of solution and would bump my Ca by 0.075 ppm not a huge move on the Ca front but still would be a bump.

Since I have never dosed nitrate before I thought this might be a chance to help with my Ca dose while getting nitrates to be readable. I would appreciate your thoughts or experience with this.

OP
OP
Chuk

Chuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I slipped a 0 that should be 10 g of calcium nitrate not 100

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone I've come across a deal on reagent grade calcium nitrate Ca(NO3)2 5 lbs for $15 which is about 1/2 the cost of sodium nitrate. I'm wondering if anyone has used that to boost both nitrates and calcium at the same time.
I did some rough math and if I mix 100 g of calcium nitrate into 1 L of DI water I would have a ~7500 ppm nitrate solution that also has ~ 2500 ppm Ca. My system is a little over 100 gal so every mL of that solution would raise my nitrates ~0.2 ppm and my Ca should go up 0.006 ppm. I want to dose to about 2.5 ppm nitrate in the tank which would require 12.5 mL of solution and would bump my Ca by 0.075 ppm not a huge move on the Ca front but still would be a bump.

Since I have never dosed nitrate before I thought this might be a chance to help with my Ca dose while getting nitrates to be readable. I would appreciate your thoughts or experience with this.
I’m going to use this myself, how were the results for you?

OP
OP
Chuk

Chuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went through ~1/2 my bag of calcium nitrate. My tank had a chaeto die off that sent my nitrates sky high. After that I haven't needed to use it. As for how it worked, once I stopped dosing I didn't notice a dosing difference in the Ca since I use lime. It's definitely not a big boost to the Ca and the math shows that as well but it was cheap. Nitrates came up pretty much in line with the expected concentrations. So all in all for nitrates go for it but dot expect a measurable Ca hit.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For folks considering calcium nitrate, it is worth noting that there may be substantial ammonia in some brands:

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For folks considering calcium nitrate, it is worth noting that there may be substantial ammonia in some brands:

Thanks for the read Randy. I purchased this product:

It’s an Aussie fresh water aquarium brand so I hope it’s suitable. I have reached out to them via email regarding a couple of other questions but no response so far.

Do you know how much Calcium Nitrate can be dissolved per 1L (1000ml) of water?

OP
OP
Chuk

Chuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the read Randy. I purchased this product:

It’s an Aussie fresh water aquarium brand so I hope it’s suitable. I have reached out to them via email regarding a couple of other questions but no response so far.

Do you know how much Calcium Nitrate can be dissolved per 1L (1000ml) of water?

anhydrous is 1200 g/L and tetra hydrate is 1290 g/L at 20C according to Perry's

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, that’s a lot! How to I know which one I have?

Unless they tell you, you won't know. I also think it doesn't matter since dosing will end up being by trial and error.

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anhydrous is 1200 g/L and tetra hydrate is 1290 g/L at 20C according to Perry's
Must be correct, I was able to dissolve 500gms of Calcium Nitrate in 500ml of water, I then topped it up with another 250mls of water and this made exactly 1L of solution. So according to Jame’s planted tank calculator, 6ml will raise my 700L tank volume to 3.5ppm of Nitrate.

That’s 167 doses for $30. Very efficient!

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well turns out that the mix I describe above gives the expected nitrate value in the tank. Using Salifert test kit. I’ll just wait and see how my corals respond.

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey bud. I bought it from Aussie freshwater aquarium product brand LCA. I think you can get their stuff through The Tech Den. I mixed the 500grm tub to 750mls water and it’s WAY more concentrated than anything on the market. Very happy with it.

Attachments

• 64DF4AD1-7EB9-4652-BC27-C386B1BDA84A.jpeg
    64DF4AD1-7EB9-4652-BC27-C386B1BDA84A.jpeg
    203.1 KB · Views: 40

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also used the monopatassium phosphate, and it literally makes a lifetime supply from 250grm tub. You get something like 4L of extreme concentration. Just keep in mind that my pics are the bottles I put the liquid into and I just used the labels off the tubs.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have used this and Magnesium Nitrate and Manganese Nitrate. You aren't going to get very much calcium but you are going to get a lot of nitrate. This is the nature of the beast based on the structure.

IMO this is and Magnesium are the best way to go.

epicfatigue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I didn’t even consider ammonia in the equation and not sure how it relates to this product/method? I had no problems in any way and would recommend this as a nitrogen source.
Alot of people have reported high amounts of amonia I the calcium nitrate. Some products have a massive amount. I'll purchase some and test and see how I go. I guess it just depends on how much you require to dose

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back