Calcium nitrates help!

Heres_doe_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to bring up nitrates up 1 ppm. I have no nitrates. Can you guys help me get close to this. I’m using this and want to dissolve some of this into 1 liter of water. What’s concentration solution I’m using and how many ml going into my 130 gallon tank?
image.jpg

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to bring up nitrates up 1 ppm. I have no nitrates. Can you guys help me get close to this. I’m using this and want to dissolve some of this into 1 liter of water. What’s concentration solution I’m using and how many ml going into my 130 gallon tank?
image.jpg
Not sure about that product and it's purity but if it is good to use and if the nitrate is similar to what you find in sodium nitrate or potassium nitrate, then you can use the attached calculator. Select potassium nitrate in the nutrient chemical selection. I would wait to see if @Randy Holmes-Farley responds before dosing that product.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you try feeding more food? What significance is 1ppm of nitrate?

OP
OP
Heres_doe_

Heres_doe_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you try feeding more food? What significance is 1ppm of nitrate?
Ok so I feed a few times a day and very heavy but my fish bio load isn’t much. It’s. 130 with 4 fish so far running a ats 9 hours a day currently. I can’t keep nitrates up currently. Only reason I said 1 ppm is to play with numbers. I made a solution last night of 50 grams calcium nitrates to half liter rodi. I dosed 8ml and got .9 a hour later so close enough. I’ll test same time today to see if it’s all gone.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tank can support more fish.. what's your po4? If stripping too much from water, you can reduce ats lighting period. But seems counterproductive to dose nutrients just to strip them back out

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tank can support more fish.. what's your po4? If stripping too much from water, you can reduce ats lighting period. But seems counterproductive to dose nutrients just to strip them back out

Why do you think he’s stripping it out unnecessarily?

OP
OP
Heres_doe_

Heres_doe_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank can handle a ton more fish. This was the same tank before my crash. It’s back up again. Best difference now is the ats. First time running an ats. I went from 24 hours to 9 not sure how much less I can run without killing all algae. And phosphates are under .18. I have to dose nitrates once in a while regardless correct? With the amount of feeding I do I can’t do any much more I ain’t got time. I have to bring more fish into the system. Skimmer is off cleaning ats every few days now as it grows super fast.
IMG_1063.jpeg

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you think he’s stripping it out unnecessarily?
I don't quiet think so, yet. Just wanting to hear the whole scenario, not everyday someone asking about 1ppm nitrate. To me it would make sense if just wanting to know or maybe higher phosphates that he's trying to reduce but nitrate limited. It seems the latter is true, unless I'm missing something..(?)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back