Calcium precipitation issues

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe I am having calcium precipitation as I'm getting tons of tiny white particulate in my tank. My alk also dropped to 5.5 but calcium level is good.

I'm currently dosing ESV 2 part. I assume that the precipitation is driving down my alkalinity. Whats the best way to get my levels in order.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely abiotic precipitations. I had the same issue when I was over dosing kalkwasser. Things to consider are amount you're dosing, might need throwing to much in. Also might be dosing to much at one time. Always dose into an area with a high flow to assist dispersion. Also, make sure you're not dosing both parts at the same time in the same area. If you can't separate the area you dose to, consider dosing each part at different times. Just some thoughts

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Precipitation requires very high alkalinity, which is typically caused by high levels of kalk dosed at the same time. If you aren't dosing kalk this isnt the problem. Precipitate also isn't readily visible in the water column other than a fine powder on tank surfaces.

Just dosing bicarbonate won't cause precipitation unless your calcium levels are insanely high. I dose half a teaspoon of baking soda twice a day in my 20gal at one time, which is likely way more than you are using and I don't get precipitation.

I recall ESV is reversed...Pt 1 is baking soda in water (alk) while pt 2 is calcium chloride in water. So, you need to dose pt 1 to get alk up.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back