Hybrid Balling mixing and saturation/precipitation

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My stir plate gets bogged down using any container over 2 quarts. Would there be any issue dissolving the soda ash, calcium chloride, and balling C at 1g dosages in 0.5g of rodi? I'm guessing the first two should be ok, even if fully saturated as the excess will dissolve when combined with the other 0.5g, but will balling C precipitate being that concentrated?

Edit: I could always do 2 half batches, but I like to let things go for 10-15mins, so really just looking for a quality of life answer (ie: I'm being lazy)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My stir plate gets bogged down using any container over 2 quarts. Would there be any issue dissolving the soda ash, calcium chloride, and balling C at 1g dosages in 0.5g of rodi? I'm guessing the first two should be ok, even if fully saturated as the excess will dissolve when combined with the other 0.5g, but will balling C precipitate being that concentrated?

Edit: I could always do 2 half batches, but I like to let things go for 10-15mins, so really just looking for a quality of life answer (ie: I'm being lazy)

Most two part systems are limited by the solubility of the alk part, and raising the potency is very challenging, hence the concentration they are designed at usually works best.

The one caveat to that statement is that hydroxide based alk parts can be made much more potent. although I generally would not advise that as being desirable due to its very high pH before and after adding to the tank water.

OP
OP
rennjidk

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that Balling Part C can be made 2x potent, if that alone is the question.
Perhaps I could have worded that more clearly. What I'm asking is if I'm able to mix soda ash, calcium chloride, and part C at one gallon concentrations, in less than a gallon of water (maybe 3qts), and then add water to 1g total volume (or 1.2g, whatever it comes out to with the rest of the water)?

Would this cause any issues?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps I could have worded that more clearly. What I'm asking is if I'm able to mix soda ash, calcium chloride, and part C at one gallon concentrations, in less than a gallon of water (maybe 3qts), and then add water to 1g total volume (or 1.2g, whatever it comes out to with the rest of the water)?

Would this cause any issues?

Why? The alk part of two parts can be very hard to make more potent due to solubility limitations. Not sure for the part C at what is already double its normal concentration.

OP
OP
rennjidk

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why? The alk part of two parts can be very hard to make more potent due to solubility limitations. Not sure for the part C at what is already double its normal concentration.
I'm not using a double concentration of part C.

I have a 1g pitcher and a magnetic stir plate. When I add 1 gallon of water, the pitcher only has ~1/2" of headspace left. That doesn't leave much room for the ~3 cups or so of soda ash and calcium chloride. Part C is easier at 4 scoops per gallon, but as I've said, the stir plate gets bogged down at a full gallon, and really would like to mix all 3 of these in around 3 quarts of water, then just top off the extra quart and stir by hand in the dosing container.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not using a double concentration of part C.

I have a 1g pitcher and a magnetic stir plate. When I add 1 gallon of water, the pitcher only has ~1/2" of headspace left. That doesn't leave much room for the ~3 cups or so of soda ash and calcium chloride. Part C is easier at 4 scoops per gallon, but as I've said, the stir plate gets bogged down at a full gallon, and really would like to mix all 3 of these in around 3 quarts of water, then just top off the extra quart and stir by hand in the dosing container.

My recipe directions say:

"Dissolve the residual solid in enough water to make 1 gallon total. This dissolution may require a fair amount of mixing. Warming it speeds dissolution. "

So the intent is to use a bit less than 1 gallon for initial mixing, then top up to 1 gallon. Note that the volume increase is much lower than one might expect when adding the solids and dissolving them.

If that cannot work, I'd just make it on half scale. :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back