Calcium reactor.......does size matter?

tcup25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wanting to incorporate a calcium reactor on my system. Does size really matter?

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the same question when I was setting up the calcium reactor, and I can tell you from the experience, oversized CA reactor is not a problem I am running a GEO 618 on a 70 gallon( it is rated for 300 i think) Undersizing it could be problematic, as my LFS is running 2 reactors on their Large SPS system because one just couldn't keep up.

soulpatch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only difference is change rate of media. If you get an undersized reactor you need to swap out the media more frequently. Oversized the media takes longer to break down as you arent dissolving as high of a % of it.

OP
OP
tcup25

tcup25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would there be a problem with it taking longer to break down? Does it somehow become less effective? Does the media need to be kept at a certain level for the reactor to function efficiently or can you pretty much let it run down before adding new media?

soulpatch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem with longer breakdown times and doesn't become less effective. My current schedule is to swap out the media in about 8 months. Though that depends on my consumption rate as well as I add more sticks. I would swap it all personally and take that time to clean the reactor and pump.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 117 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back